A handful of questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shock259

Re: A handful of questions

Postby shock259 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:16 pm

My first LSAT was a 151 and I was PTing at ~175 after 3 months of intensive preparation. As someone already mentioned, it's an extremely learnable test. You just need to study your ass off. There's a forum dedicated to LSAT Prep, though.

But it's difficult to overstate the career implications of a 175 vs a 155. You can break into the T10 with a 175. You may not care about biglaw right now, but getting ANY legal job from a T2 is not easy if you are below median GPA (and a lot of the time even if you are above it). Meanwhile, median at a T10 can get you biglaw or any other firm job.

The temptation is to think that 1) that stuff is really far off or 2) I'll be able to find something if I just try hard enough. But it's really not true. Legal hiring is not like anything else.

Good luck with your stuff.

Yankees1404

Postby Yankees1404 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Thank you to everybody for convincing me to do something that i knew deep down was the best but i did not want to do because of pressure from everybody else in my life. I need to do what's best for myself, so fuck it if i need to take an extra year to get into the best LS possible. I also got a 31/50 on logical reasoning on the October LSAT....and never in 20 some odd PTs did i get below a 34 and typically was high 30s. So I guess this has to be done, and i came here self consciously hoping this new approach would be advocated.

Yankees1404

Postby Yankees1404 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:24 pm

subconsciously*...coming to this realization prompted me to crack some beers open a while ago.

ChikaBoom

Postby ChikaBoom » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Yankees1404 wrote:subconsciously*...coming to this realization prompted me to crack some beers open a while ago.

Cheers, Yank! Glad to see you're reconsidering. This is absolutely the best course of action.

Yankees1404

Postby Yankees1404 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Any advice for reading material to try to increase my reading comprehension over the next 6-7 months? I've heard the economist, but i am open to any and all options for this. I realize that reading comprehension will be the most difficult to see large gains...but getting a few points on this section will probably be the difference between me reaching the low/mid 160s and me reaching the mid/high 160s. I understand that everybody on this forum says not to place limitations on yourself...but I struggled mightily with reading in high school...and only through college did i develop a decent/average reading ability. I think i can easily sharpen the LR on my own, but any input on reading material for the next half a year would be appreciated...

Yankees1404

Postby Yankees1404 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Also, while i realize that LS is heavily based upon reading...I wasn't lying earlier in the thread with my explanation that for whatever reason my reading comp appears to be much higher on legal based information which piques my interest rather than scientific material where i get flustered beyond belief. So i don't doubt that with a little more attention to detail on my case-readings that my passion for the study of law can overcame any reading deficiencies...

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:00 am

Try to become more intellectually curious in different areas of science. Read Scientific American. Listen to the scientific american podcast. Read some science books that are intended for a general audience.

Recommendations:
The Trouble with Physics by Lee Smolin (really interesting overview of the history of modern physics at the start of the book)
Stuff written by Brian Greene (most recent stuff is probably your best bet)
Mistakes were made (but not by me) by Carol Tarvis and Elliot Aronson (more psychology, but really fun read)
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (more psychology but good read)
Relics of Eden: The Powerful Evidence of Evolution in Human DNA by Daniel Fairbanks

Just getting a level of familiarity with topics in physics, biology, and math will help retaining info from those passages. That said, doing work on LSAT material itself is the most helpful way of improving.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”