Effective? or shooting myself in the foot?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wwUSMC84

Effective? or shooting myself in the foot?

Postby wwUSMC84 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:50 am

I got a 166 in Oct, 10 points below my PT avg. I know the most likely response to this post will be the all too common cries of "Retake!" However, I am in a situation where that isn't really an option. Due to military commitments, Dec/Feb arent options, and because of a military program I have to be accepted to a school by April, so sitting out a cycle isnt viable either. A crazy, exhausting 105 hours at work the week of the test contributed to my lack luster performance, but to me that is just an excuse and doesn't hold any weight. Is this addendum just stupid idea or should I try it?

I don't make excuses. To me, my LSAT score is below par. I took the test that day and didn't perform up to my potential, pure and simple. However, I do not believe that the 5 hour window represented by this test is at all representative of my ability to succeed in law school. That test does not demonstrate my work ethic, resolve to succeed, or intellectual ability. I am certain that my recommenders will have touched on those very aspects of my character in their letters of recommendation. Their observation are based on extended observation of my work and potential, and I believe they are more telling evaluations of whether or not I will be a successful law student.

rad lulz

Re: Effective? or shooting myself in the foot?

Postby rad lulz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:00 am

Don't write an addendum. Just sounds like you're making excuses.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05 am

Agree the an addendum regarding your LSAT score could be seen as whining. Does your GPA reflect your self-proclaimed work ethic ?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 am

As others have said, don't write this addendum. I have to stop dozens of students from sending this every year, so I can't even imagine how many actually make it through. It'll be lost on people who read the same thing from a good portion of students. They're also well aware that the LSAT is a 5-hour test.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:09 am

wwUSMC84 wrote:I got a 166 in Oct, 10 points below my PT avg. I know the most likely response to this post will be the all too common cries of "Retake!" However, I am in a situation where that isn't really an option. Due to military commitments, Dec/Feb arent options, and because of a military program I have to be accepted to a school by April, so sitting out a cycle isnt viable either. A crazy, exhausting 105 hours at work the week of the test contributed to my lack luster performance, but to me that is just an excuse and doesn't hold any weight. Is this addendum just stupid idea or should I try it?

I don't make excuses. To me, my LSAT score is below par. I took the test that day and didn't perform up to my potential, pure and simple. However, I do not believe that the 5 hour window represented by this test is at all representative of my ability to succeed in law school. That test does not demonstrate my work ethic, resolve to succeed, or intellectual ability. I am certain that my recommenders will have touched on those very aspects of my character in their letters of recommendation. Their observation are based on extended observation of my work and potential, and I believe they are more telling evaluations of whether or not I will be a successful law student.

Don't worry about the addendum.

What schools are you trying for? The military experience IS actually a soft that matters BTW.

wwUSMC84

Postby wwUSMC84 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:46 am

I've got a 3.8 GPA with most of my B's coming from drawing and painting courses which I have zero natural talent for, and only managed due to my work ethic.

I was looking at most of the T14, prior to the test. Now I'm hoping my military status helps me outperform my numbers.

I was leaning twords not submitting this, and only wrote it based on some obviously poor advice. Thanks for connfirming my suspicions.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:52 pm

URM?

wwUSMC84

Postby wwUSMC84 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Nope.

jgconte

Postby jgconte » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:43 pm

What military program are you going for?

wwUSMC84

Postby wwUSMC84 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Funded Law Education Program. Last chance to do it since I'm rapidly approaching the 6 yr time in service cutoff established in Title 10.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”