Importance of why X and diversity statements

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nyremy

Importance of why X and diversity statements

Postby nyremy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:04 pm

Edit
Last edited by nyremy on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dproduct

Re: Importance of why X and diversity statements

Postby dproduct » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:43 pm

nyremy wrote:Hey all, I'm a non-urm with a 3.8 and 172 and I'm wondering if writing why x essays for Michigan, Penn, Virginia, and NW will make a difference for me, or if I'd be better off submitting right away? Also, how valued is a diversity statement? My diversity statement isn't very strong and I wrote it just for the sake of having one.. I'm just sort of scared that optional really means you better have one :? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A bullshit fake diversity statement will not help you, and at best is viewed neutral, so don't waste your time.

I may be wrong, but at 3.8/172 you're fine. Just send those apps in. Don't force diversity.

Now, Why X essays are different. I'd send one to UVA if you don't wanna sit on the waitlist. But again, only write it if you actually care/having something valuable to say. Otherwise, it will come off as annoying and artificial, something you don't want to do.

FlanAl

Re: Importance of why X and diversity statements

Postby FlanAl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:58 pm

i think penn and mich require them. i'm not diverse at all and got dinged from both those schools when i was applying. my numbers were marginal at those schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”