Do schools respond quickly to merit fee waiver requests?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
timeandspace11

Do schools respond quickly to merit fee waiver requests?

Postby timeandspace11 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:43 pm

I have received several fee waiver requests that I am very happy about, but I still have not heard from some schools I very much want to apply to. I was thinking about sending out requests to admissions offices tomorrow. Are responses usually made the same day, within a few days, or longer?

Also how is a typical request written? A few examples I have seen are brief. They basically claim interest in the schools, ask for help with a waiver, and then give GPA and LSAT score. Should this be enough?

Cicero76

Re: Do schools respond quickly to merit fee waiver requests?

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:08 pm

I asked for a fee waiver from Duke today, and got a reply saying they'd forwarded my request to their head of admissions within five minutes.

nick_scheu

Postby nick_scheu » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Cicero76 wrote:I asked for a fee waiver from Duke today, and got a reply saying they'd forwarded my request to their head of admissions within five minutes.

I got this too. Let us know if you hear back--I'll do the same.

nick_scheu

Postby nick_scheu » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:43 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:They basically claim interest in the schools, ask for help with a waiver, and then give GPA and LSAT score. Should this be enough?

Pretty much. Maybe make a vague comment about how it would be a hardship to apply, but you don't qualify for the LSAC need-based waiver. Solicited requests are merit-based, but I can't imagine it would hurt you to mention that applying is expensive.

Also include your LSAC account number.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Depends on school. I would say that TOPS 5 day turn around, most within 24/48 hours, but there are always exceptions.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Wormfather wrote:I sent out requests to just about ever T20 (except for HYS) this week, I've heard back from all but one at this point, most within 24 hours.

Thanks. I was thinking of sending out some requests now, do you think it would be better if I waited until morning when they are open?

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm

I got one from UCLA in 15 minutes, Duke responded to me (albeit not with a fee waiver, but to let me know they were forwarding it to their Dean) within 5 minutes.

All the other ones I got were unsolicited so I can't comment beyond those schools.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:13 pm

florida1949 wrote:I got one from UCLA in 15 minutes, Duke responded to me (albeit not with a fee waiver, but to let me know they were forwarding it to their Dean) within 5 minutes.

All the other ones I got were unsolicited so I can't comment beyond those schools.

Thanks. UCLA sent me one which I was happy about. Did you send yours out in the morning or afternoon?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”