Lacking a Professor's Recommendation: Catastrophic?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Lacking a Professor's Recommendation: Catastrophic?

Postby Silverlake22 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:03 pm

I graduated from college early in 2010, and worked all throughout college. The two professors I would be comfortable writing a recommendation retired and left the school respectively, and I have been unable to contact either. I am currently emailing prior professors, though I am very pessimistic about the letters they would be able to provide, if any this late in the year. I have worked since graduation at a large law firm and I am absolutely positive that the two letters I have received thus far are not only relevant in the field, but will paint me as a eager and able student, though to my understanding a professors recommendation is vital.

I scored a 173 on the LSAT and had a 3.6 GPA at a mid tier school, and am planning on applying to T14. If the worst should happen and I am unable to secure a professor's recommendation, would this sink my application at the T14? If so, would adding an addendum listing my work schedule and decision to graduate help mitigate this fact?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Lacking a Professor's Recommendation: Catastrophic?

Postby remix » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:19 pm

I think general consensus is that if you're straight outta school, a professor's recommendation is wanted. But you've been working, so although a professor's letter would be ideal, a letter from an employer should be fine.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Lacking a Professor's Recommendation: Catastrophic?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Definitely not catastrophic, but would be nice to have.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”