GPA: Is it really about the number?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Darmody

GPA: Is it really about the number?

Postby Darmody » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:03 pm

Do law schools only care about the final number or are the courses taken into account? For example, if someone pads their GPA with bunch of easy electives, music courses, art, etc..., will law school admissions take this account and recalculate? Or let's say someone majored in physics and had a 3.7 compared to a sociology major with a 3.8, will his chances be hurt? (not trying to say one major is harder, just an example)

WhiskeynCoke

Re: GPA: Is it really about the number?

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:09 pm

They only care about the number, as calculated by LSAC. There are no medians for "majors." However, the other shit could potentially come into play as a "tie-breaker," though its unlikely.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:13 pm

There's an AdCom who posts on here and confirmed for the vast majority of candidates it's just about the number

Darmody

Postby Darmody » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Well, I guess it's time to start padding....

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Darmody wrote:Do law schools only care about the final number or are the courses taken into account? For example, if someone pads their GPA with bunch of easy electives, music courses, art, etc..., will law school admissions take this account and recalculate? Or let's say someone majored in physics and had a 3.7 compared to a sociology major with a 3.8, will his chances be hurt? (not trying to say one major is harder, just an example)

Well one of those majors is definitely harder (physics major here), but others are correct: number's all that matters, no bump whatsoever for difficulty.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Not trying to steal OP's thread, but do you think if you have a really high GPA in a tough major that can be seen as a positive or will it make no difference at all?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:Not trying to steal OP's thread, but do you think if you have a really high GPA in a tough major that can be seen as a positive or will it make no difference at all?

If you have a really high GPA, why do you care? Or do you mean relative to everyone else with that major? If you have a 3.3 in a major where everyone generally has a 2.5, you still have a 3.3 for admissions purposes.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:03 pm

The real irony is that "you" somehow get a minor boost applying from somewhere like HYPS -- places fairly well known for massive grade inflation.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
jrsbaseball5 wrote:Not trying to steal OP's thread, but do you think if you have a really high GPA in a tough major that can be seen as a positive or will it make no difference at all?

If you have a really high GPA, why do you care? Or do you mean relative to everyone else with that major? If you have a 3.3 in a major where everyone generally has a 2.5, you still have a 3.3 for admissions purposes.

That's a good point. Lets say that you are a 3.9 in chemistry and your competing with a 3.9 in sociology. Does the chemistry major win the tie-breaker because they have the tougher major?

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:23 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:That's a good point. Lets say that you are a 3.9 in chemistry and your competing with a 3.9 in sociology. Does the chemistry major win the tie-breaker because they have the tougher major?

Assuming the two have the same LSAT as well, my guess would be that the major could be one of many possible "soft" tie breakers alongside personal statements, LORs, WE, other softs, etc. It's tough to quantify how much of an impact it would have, but it seems pretty clear that, in the big scheme of things, one's major plays a really small role in the admissions process.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Berkeley used to do weighting based on UG school as a policy. E.g., http://home.sandiego.edu/~e_cook/vault/ ... aw-99.html
While the link suggests it stopped around 1999, I thought I had seen something similar in later years. It could be that the rankings game has finally provided enough of a disincentive, but I think I've seen lists of undergraduate schools represented at Berkeley, and it seemed to me that you are still probably out of luck if you went to a CSU rather than a UC.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:07 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:The real irony is that "you" somehow get a minor boost applying from somewhere like HYPS -- places fairly well known for massive grade inflation.

P is actually fairly well known for fighting grade inflation

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Yes, its really about the number.

Basket weaver above median >>>>> supposed difficult major below median

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Darmody wrote:Well, I guess it's time to start padding....

I think this was said somewhat tongue in cheek, but college students considering law school need to take it seriously. You don't have to drop your toughest classes if they interest you (although you might consider it) but mix in plenty of easy ones, get A+'s where you can, and load up on community college credits over the summer.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:06 am

Nova wrote:Yes, its really about the number.

Basket weaver above median >>>>> supposed difficult major below median

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:08 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:

I think this was said somewhat tongue in cheek, but college students considering law school need to take it seriously. You don't have to drop your toughest classes if they interest you (although you might consider it) but mix in plenty of easy ones, get A+'s where you can, and load up on community college credits over the summer.

I honestly do think A+s are kind of bullshit, coming from a University that doesn't have them on the grading scale. Seriously, that severely disadvantages those who go to schools that don't offer A+s.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:14 am

goldenflash19 wrote:
jrsbaseball5 wrote:That's a good point. Lets say that you are a 3.9 in chemistry and your competing with a 3.9 in sociology. Does the chemistry major win the tie-breaker because they have the tougher major?

Assuming the two have the same LSAT as well, my guess would be that the major could be one of many possible "soft" tie breakers alongside personal statements, LORs, WE, other softs, etc. It's tough to quantify how much of an impact it would have, but it seems pretty clear that, in the big scheme of things, one's major plays a really small role in the admissions process.

That seems right to me. I could see it playing a role in rounding out a class as well so a school can say it has X amount of hard sciences majors, X amount of liberal arts majors etc. Probably not a huge factor, but could help in creating a more diverse class.

Darmody

Postby Darmody » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:12 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I honestly do think A+s are kind of bullshit, coming from a University that doesn't have them on the grading scale. Seriously, that severely disadvantages those who go to schools that don't offer A+s.

They don't take into account that some schools give out A+s? Oh god, what kind of a fair system is this? Couple A+s here and there skews the GPA so much. Completely unfair to those of us whose schools don't offer it.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:15 pm

Darmody wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

They don't take into account that some schools give out A+s? Oh god, what kind of a fair system is this? Couple A+s here and there skews the GPA so much. Completely unfair to those of us whose schools don't offer it.

#OnePercentProblems

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”