Letter of Recommendation Advice - HELP

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KMP

Letter of Recommendation Advice - HELP

Postby KMP » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:03 pm

I am looking for some advice on my current situation. I interned for the Governor's Office in my home state this past summer. Even though I was able to interact with him personally, he obviously did not know me on a personal day-to-day basis. One of my letters for law school is from the Governor but it simply highlights my resume and has no depth or substance. Is it worth using a letter from a current Governor even though it may not be that personal?

Thanks - I would appreciate any input.

PS - Is three the maximum number of letters allowed?

nickb285

Re: Letter of Recommendation Advice - HELP

Postby nickb285 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:17 pm

To your first question, no. A good letter from someone who knows you well is always going to be better than a generic letter from someone who barely knows you. Ask a supervisor instead.

To your second, it depends on the school. More than 3 is probably going to be overkill most places, though, if not expressly forbidden.

KMP

Postby KMP » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks for the reply....I was just on my account and they received my letter from the Governor's office. Should I edit my credentials to have it not used, or what do you recommend?

One other point - I am from Iowa and one school I am applying to is Drake. Maybe a letter from Governor Branstad could help with the admissions to that school?

Thanks

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:35 pm

If you've already sent it, leave it in. It won't hurt you unless it's negative; it's just not going to help any. If you've got two good, personal letters, and one mediocre one, that's still alright.

And regardless of location, nobody is going to care who wrote your letter unless they're actually talking about you in personal terms. Lots of college kids, particularly the kind who go on to law school, have worked for some public official at some point; unless you've impressed said official enough that they can write you a really good letter, you're always better off asking the person who actually knows you.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:11 pm

As long as your first two are academic, preferably from professors who know you're work and will say good, substantive things (not form letters) you'll be fine. Admissions committees know that the governors secretary copy and pasted yours from a form and he just signed it. Would you give such a letter any predictive academic value?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”