Columbia - Race Identification

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
joedf

Columbia - Race Identification

Postby joedf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:00 pm

I've never seen this before:
"2. Are you Hispanic or Latino (person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race)?"

I am one-quarter Spanish.

I do not identify with it, I speak only what I learned in high school, and I have never considered myself Hispanic. I see "or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race" though, and honestly, is this a yes or a no in my situation?

bk1

Re: Columbia - Race Identification

Postby bk1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Hispanic generally means from a Spanish speaking country (which includes Spain). It has nothing to do with what you speak. So yes you are technically 1/4 Hispanic.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:13 pm

joedf wrote:I've never seen this before:
"2. Are you Hispanic or Latino (person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race)?"

I am one-quarter Spanish.

I do not identify with it, I speak only what I learned in high school, and I have never considered myself Hispanic. I see "or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race" though, and honestly, is this a yes or a no in my situation?

Do they mean Hispanic? That's a really dumb way to phrase that question.

Is your family from Spain? Then you're just European and not Hispanic in the URM sense, in my opinion. You could say yes, but I think it would be disingenuous. You're definitely NOT Latino.

joedf

Postby joedf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:16 pm

My grandmother was from Spain, yes.

I am not a URM, and clicking yes does make me feel weird. But I am of "Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race," and the question is that, not "Are you an under-represented minority?"

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:19 pm

francesfarmer wrote:Do they mean Hispanic? That's a really dumb way to phrase that question.

Is your family from Spain? Then you're just European and not Hispanic in the URM sense, in my opinion. You could say yes, but I think it would be disingenuous. You're definitely NOT Latino.

There is no "Hispanic in the URM sense." Mexican Americans and Puerto Rican Americans are URMs (as well as AAs and NAs). That's it.

This is not disingenuous. The question is not asking him if he's Latino. It's asking him if he is Latino OR Hispanic. He is Hispanic.

joedf wrote:My grandmother was from Spain, yes.

I am not a URM, and clicking yes does make me feel weird. But I am of "Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race," and the question is that, not "Are you an under-represented minority?"

Why does it make you feel weird? You're Hispanic and answering the question of "are you Hispanic?" with a yes. That's not weird. Keep in mind you aren't going to get a URM boost for being Hispanic/Latino since you aren't MX or PR.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:20 pm

joedf wrote:My grandmother was from Spain, yes.

If they are trying to identify whether you are an under-represented minority, then answering yes would be disingenous. I believe the "regardless of race" qualifier is in reference to the fact that Hispanic people can be from any race and still be Mexican/Dominican/Puerto Rican/etc. If you were white but your grandmother was from Mexico, you would definitely be considered Latino.

joedf

Postby joedf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:32 pm

I know what I'm doing - I'm selecting "yes."

Francesfarmer, just so you know, I don't think I've gamed the system at all, and if it eases your mind there's an option a few down where it lets you select what kind of "Hispanic" you are, and if you select "Other Hispanic" to specify. I wrote, "Spain."

It should be crystal clear to them that my ancestors came from the Iberian peninsula and not Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”