retake question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aveenu2
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:56 pm

retake question

Postby aveenu2 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:11 pm

i am planning on retaking in december. can i submit applications now and tell schools to wait for my december score? how do you do this on the lsac website if possible? thanks

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: retake question

Postby dowu » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Bump. I was about to ask this same question. How can I notify the schools that I'm retaking? Will they know that I'm retaking since I'm registered for December?

aveenu2
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: retake question

Postby aveenu2 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:19 pm

bumb

User avatar
annet
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: retake question

Postby annet » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:20 pm

I optimistically filled out a bunch of applications before I got my LSAT score. My lower-ranked, regional safeties almost all had specific questions on the application to indicate that you were taking/retaking in December or February (I suppose if you were applying really early it could have been used for October). So there is a group of schools that is set up to hold applications.

That said, it seems like most first-tier schools and all T-14s evaluate your file as soon as it is complete on LSAC (providing you actually hit submit on the application, of course). You'll need to call or write each school individually and ask if they will hold off reviewing your file until your December LSAT score. I don't know how many schools will do this and how many would just encourage you to not submit an app until you got your December score. It's my understanding that no school is required to do this for you after you pay the fees/submit an app with an LSAT score on file. You can ask to be held or re-reviewed but I don't think they're not under any particular obligation to do so.

mcs268
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Re: retake question

Postby mcs268 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:41 pm

My feeling on it is this: if your score is bad enough for you to be an auto-ding or ruins your chance for money if they don't hold your file, wait for your retake. for example, I got a low 160s grade in october, which prevents me from applying to all my schools (ie. UCLA, even if they hold my file, could look at it and immediately prepare me from an autoding, so i don't want to deal with that stress).

Even for my safeties, my grade is low enough that I could get in, but it would kill my chances at $$. so you might as well just wait because they're safeties.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 7 guests