Application strategy...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NoodleyOne

Application strategy...

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:57 am

Alright, I'm in an odd situation. I have an LSAC fee waiver, which gives me free app fees and 4 free applications for processing fees, which I've used on Harvard, Columbia, NYU, and UVA, and also threw in the 21 bucks for an app at Penn. Numbers are 3.5/179. Now, I'm a poor ass dude, and can't scrape together much more dough until the beginning of December, so I can only afford one more app this month. I'm trying to figure out where to send it. So, help me decide.

I am applying to Yale, Stanford, Chicago, Michigan, Duke, Northwestern, and Cornell on top of the ones I've already sent. I have no interest in GULC and don't really want to go to the West Coast for Berkeley (plus my GPA is probably too low), and I don't think I'm going to go below the T14 except for maybe one or two safety schools late in my cycle if I don't get early nibbles. So, knowing I want Biglaw, and based on my numbers and where I already have my apps in, where should I send my next app to maximize my chances? I figure Yale, based on the lack of rolling admissions, can wait a bit (and I have a snowball's chance there anyway), but other than that, what do I do?

WhiskeynCoke

Re: Application strategy...

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:17 am

Now, I'm a poor ass dude, and can't scrape together much more dough until the beginning of December, so I can only afford one more app this month.

Really? You're about to potentially invest hundreds of thousands of dollars and you can't scrape together twenty bucks in the next few weeks to improve your options / scholarship leverage? Come on.

At the very least blanket the T14 asap. Even if you don't want to attend the schools, they may offer you $$$, which you can show to the schools you actually DO want to attend as leverage. You must logically be able to see the incredibly favorable cost/benefit ratio here. At only $21 a pop you can greatly increase your scholarship chances, especially with your LSAT score. The longer you wait, the less $$$ to go around. Find a way, it's worth it.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:20 am

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
Now, I'm a poor ass dude, and can't scrape together much more dough until the beginning of December, so I can only afford one more app this month.

Really? You're about to potentially invest hundreds of thousands of dollars and you can't scrape together twenty bucks in the next few weeks to improve your options / scholarship leverage? Come on.

At the very least blanket the T14 asap. Even if you don't want to attend the schools, they may offer you $$$, which you can show to the schools you actually DO want to attend as leverage. You must logically be able to see the incredibly favorable cost/benefit ratio here. At only $21 a pop you can greatly increase your scholarship chances, especially with your LSAT score. The longer you wait, the less $$$ to go around. Find a way, it's worth it.

Sad to say it, but I can't. I am literally on a PB&J diet for the next four weeks. I live pretty fucking tight, dude. My mother won't help me and I just had to borrow money from my bro just to pay rent this month (which I have to pay back with the middle of the month paycheck). Other than that, my avenues for income are pretty strapped.

I agree with you, though, in that blanketing the T14 is the best route. But assuming that right now that isn't possible, which is the one school which would make the most sense to apply to next?

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:28 am

Sad to say it, but I can't. I am literally on a PB&J diet for the next four weeks. I live pretty fucking tight, dude.

Well I guess it is what it is.

In that case, I'd save Yale for last (you're right on both counts) and Stanford for second last (gpa is no-go). After that I would research these schools decision dates and apply in the order of either earliest to make decisions or most desirable school for you. I know Cornell tends to get going early, as does Duke.

Good luck, we're numbers twins.

mmbt123

Postby mmbt123 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:02 am

wont' you be a lock at cornell and in great positions for nothwestern, michigan and duke?

so i'd go w/ uchicago where it would seem like the earlier you submit, the more it'll help you.

good luck!!

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 am

NoodleyOne wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:

Sad to say it, but I can't. I am literally on a PB&J diet for the next four weeks. I live pretty fucking tight, dude. My mother won't help me and I just had to borrow money from my bro just to pay rent this month (which I have to pay back with the middle of the month paycheck). Other than that, my avenues for income are pretty strapped.

I agree with you, though, in that blanketing the T14 is the best route. But assuming that right now that isn't possible, which is the one school which would make the most sense to apply to next?

Hey dude a lot of schools will give need based waivers. Especially since you can say you already qualified for the lSAC one, I think a lot of schools would help you out.

maggielizer

Postby maggielizer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:43 am

You may have already done this, but have you tried soliciting fee waivers from the rest of the T-14?

Kitkatt

Postby Kitkatt » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:45 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:

Hey dude a lot of schools will give need based waivers. Especially since you can say you already qualified for the lSAC one, I think a lot of schools would help you out.

It isn't the app fee that he needs to pay, it is the processing fee. There is nothing that the schools can do about that.

MsAvocadoPit

Postby MsAvocadoPit » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:51 am

So it's just the $21 report fee for each school left that's holding you up? :(

I'd send a few bucks to the "Send Noodley to T14 Paypal Fund" if one happened to appear :wink:

hume85

Postby hume85 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:54 am

MsAvocadoPit wrote:So it's just the $21 report fee for each school left that's holding you up? :(

I'd send a few bucks to the "Send Noodley to T14 Paypal Fund" if one happened to appear :wink:

+1

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:57 am

hume85 wrote:
MsAvocadoPit wrote:So it's just the $21 report fee for each school left that's holding you up? :(

+1

+1.

Start a kick starter or pay pal account dude. I pay for stupider things than helping a stranger from the internet get into lawl school.

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:14 pm

donate plasma. get some friends, borrow money from them - repay after the high holiday

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:26 pm

loomstate wrote:donate plasma.

TCR. At the place I go, they pay enough for two LSAC fees and a bottle of something cheap every week if you do it twice.

annet

Postby annet » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:46 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
hume85 wrote:

+1

+1.

Start a kick starter or pay pal account dude. I pay for stupider things than helping a stranger from the internet get into lawl school.

+1

Your guide has helped/is helping a lot of us, plus you're a nice guy. I'd love to kick in for an app or two.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Go be a substitute teacher or sell stuff on Ebay.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Or sell stuff on Craigslist.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:24 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Go be a substitute teacher or sell stuff on Ebay.

I sold all of my extra shit this summer to pay bills. It was a sad day.

And wow, I do appreciate the support a lot of you are giving. Maybe it's pride or something, but I'll have to decline the very kind offers. Selling plasma though... I may do that.

Anyway, update: I've decided to send my Chicago app in today. Thanks again for all of the love guys.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:38 pm

And wow, I do appreciate the support a lot of you are giving. Maybe it's pride or something, but I'll have to decline the very kind offers. Selling plasma though... I may do that.

Another idea would be to advertise your LSAT tutoring services on craigslist with your 160's-->179 improvement. Provide a link to the advice you've already given as testimonial. A lot of people with far worse scores charge A LOT of money (like $50+ an hour). If you were so inclined, you could even undercut them to give yourself an even greater competitive edge since you literally just need to make a hundred bucks over the next couple weeks.... Just an idea.

Where there's a will, there's a way. You seem like the type of guy who believes this statement.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Donated (Sold) plasma for a few months in college.

Decent cash, takes really long the first time but speeds up dramatically after. (4-8 hours --> 50-70 minutes after)

Scars go away. Hope you aren't afraid of needles. Bring a book/music.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:16 pm

sinfiery wrote:Donated (Sold) plasma for a few months in college.

Decent cash, takes really long the first time but speeds up dramatically after. (4-8 hours --> 50-70 minutes after)

Scars go away. Hope you aren't afraid of needles. Bring a book/music.

I'm not allowed, or I would too

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Since when is the processing fee $21? That's ...ridiculous.

If you really can only apply to one other school, maybe think about what you want to use the application for. Are you more after snabbing safety schools/scholly money or reaching higher? Since it sounds like you're money conscious I might do Michigan, because they're likely to throw money at you that you can use elsewhere. Otherwise my choice would be Stanford or Chicago. I think you're in at UVA (assuming the stats in your profile are accurate) so unless you'd legit choose Cornell/NU/Duke over that, I'd probably be okay not applying to those three right now. But I think the "right" answer rests more in where your priorities lie.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Have you considered sending a second app to Harvard ?

Wouldn't that double your chances ? :D

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:59 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Since when is the processing fee $21? That's ...ridiculous.

If you really can only apply to one other school, maybe think about what you want to use the application for. Are you more after snabbing safety schools/scholly money or reaching higher? Since it sounds like you're money conscious I might do Michigan, because they're likely to throw money at you that you can use elsewhere. Otherwise my choice would be Stanford or Chicago. I think you're in at UVA (assuming the stats in your profile are accurate) so unless you'd legit choose Cornell/NU/Duke over that, I'd probably be okay not applying to those three right now. But I think the "right" answer rests more in where your priorities lie.

Yeah, that was my thought too. The advantage to Duke/Cornell is quick decision relative to the others, but I really don't foresee me at either of those law schools.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 pm

If you have post-college work experience, then Northwestern---- otherwise, apply to Chicago or Michigan.

Brysia

Postby Brysia » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Offer lsat private tutoring on Craigslist. After all you scored 179.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”