Disclosing expunged records Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abc8542

New

Disclosing expunged records

Post by abc8542 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:36 pm

So apps ask you to disclose your expunged records. Problem is I have a simple assault on a family member that was expunged, thus being a lot more grievous than just a minor with alcohol possession or the like. My question is, if I disclose this, does this absolutely kill my chances with T14 if my numbers are fairly in their median range?

gaud

Platinum

Re: Disclosing expunged records

Post by gaud » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Yes, you most certainly should disclose it if they ask for it.

Not necessarily, it being expunged will likely help you. It will also depend on how long back the incident occurred and whether or not you've had run-ins since.

Bottom line is you must disclose.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Disclose and be humble. Take responsibility for your part in the incident. Do not try to absolve yourself of blame unless you have proof that the charge was false. Tell the adcom what you learned and what steps you have taken to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

The admins are typically receptive and forgiving unless you write a bs story. Say what you need to say and say it quickly. They mostly want the facts but that doesn't mean they care any less about your growth from the experience.

The charge was serious enough that a short paragraph addressing your personal growth can only help. If its a traffic ticket you don't write about "growing" per se. You just give the facts. If it's an assault - especially against a family member - you have a little explaining to do. You'll be fine.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Have some pretty serious charges. @T14. Its best to disclose and fight the assumption than take the risk of spending 200k at a law school and then having the bar find out that you lied to get there.

abc8542

New

Post by abc8542 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. I am going to disclose this and be pretty humble about the case. I'm not sure if I should actually devote a paragraph of my personal opinion onto it but I'll ask around a couple of other people and see what they think. For anyone who's curious, my family member was fine. It was an argument between us that escalated because the other person spit in my face, most likely accidentally, which then pushed me to punch them in the face. I wasn't beating them into the ground if that's what other people are thinking but had left the room to see that the other person called the police because they were angry that I had done that and wanted payback in a way. Just so you guys know, I'm a guy and that person is a guy too of similar age and we're on good terms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Don't share the justification that you just did about the other person spitting in your face or any talk about payback. No opinions and no editorializing, just the facts.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:12 pm

abc8542 wrote:I'm not sure if I should actually devote a paragraph of my personal opinion onto it but I'll ask around a couple of other people and see what they think.
Two things:
1) Don't do this. The PS should paint you in a positive light. This wouldn't. You should write an explanatory essay for it, but don't put it in the PS.
2) The fact that you're even considering putting it in your PS makes me believe you're going about writing the PS all wrong. It's not a general statement where you shove as much as you can in. It should be about one story/theme/event that had a profound impact on you, and shows me strength and personal growth. There shouldn't be paragraphs dedicated to certain things - the whole essay should be dedicated to telling one story. You've got 2 pages - that's not enough space to really tell me anything unless you focus it.

abc8542

New

Post by abc8542 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks for all the helpful advice in here guys. I really appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”