Missed Cornell's EA deadline by SECONDS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
North

Missed Cornell's EA deadline by SECONDS

Postby North » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:32 am

Alright, I found out I might be competitive at Cornell about two days ago and was convinced to apply EA earlier today. I wrote (what I think was) a solid PS in about ten hours and was editing it up until the last few minutes. I didn't expect to have to pay before being able to submit the application. The extra time it took to do that pushed me over the midnight EA deadline by a few seconds.

Is there any tactful way I can ask Cornell to put me in the EA pile without getting a frowny-face on my 3.35/168? I need the EA bump, so I more or less need to be in that pile... Sigh. What a roller-coaster of a day.
Last edited by North on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

wert3813

Re: Missed Cornell's EA deadline by SECONDS

Postby wert3813 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:47 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 am

I dunno, but act quickly.

North

Postby North » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:49 am

sinfiery wrote:I dunno, but act quickly.

As in right now tonight, or tomorrow morning? Call or e-mail, do you think?

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 am

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:56 am

sokomofo wrote:
North wrote:

i would do both. email them tonight, and call in the morning. good luck!

I would probably do this.

Be nice, not angry. Apologetic. Forgetful.

Edit: Forgetful in that they forget who you are. Don't tell them "lol forgot about the deadline, sorry!"

North

Postby North » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:58 am

sokomofo wrote:
North wrote:

i would do both. email them tonight, and call in the morning. good luck!

Anybody agree? Working on a draft.

... Sigh.

I don't think I've ever been as needy on TLS as I have been in the last few days. Thanks, everybody, for not yelling at me for posting so, so much.

Regarding the edit, of course. I'll be super nice, contrite, understanding, and all that.

I can't decide on how much detail to give about the situation.
Last edited by North on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:58 am

honestly, I would try an email right now.

Dear [person]

I just submitted an application to your EA program, and unfortunatley by the time LSAC processed the payment the time was a few seconds past 12 pm EST. I take responsibilty for my actions, and understand if my application can not be included in the EA cut off, however I am very interested in attending cornell. If my application could be included in EA it would be greatly appreciated, though as I stated I understand if this can not be the case.

North

it is full of typos and I wuold not send it word for word, but something like that may be acceptable in your case I imagine.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:00 am

by the way, did it say Nov 5th EST? or just Nov 5th? Because if you think you could move to california and establish residency within the next 121 minutes that may be a valid option.....(figured you may need some laughs)

North

Postby North » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 am

Br3v wrote:honestly, I would try an email right now.

Dear [person]

I just submitted an application to your EA program, and unfortunatley by the time LSAC processed the payment the time was a few seconds past 12 pm EST. I take responsibilty for my actions, and understand if my application can not be included in the EA cut off, however I am very interested in attending cornell. If my application could be included in EA it would be greatly appreciated, though as I stated I understand if this can not be the case.

North

it is full of typos and I wuold not send it word for word, but something like that may be acceptable in your case I imagine.

Should I mention that I did not expect to be competitive at Cornell until a couple days ago by way of explanation? As opposed to only "I missed it by a few seconds, would you mind?"

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:03 am

North wrote:

Dear [person]

North

Should I mention that I did not expect to be competitive at Cornell until a couple days ago by way of explanation? As opposed to only "I missed it by a few seconds, would you mind?"

I wouldn't. Because then they may be like, even he didnt think he would be competitive!

North

Postby North » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:04 am

Br3v wrote:by the way, did it say Nov 5th EST? or just Nov 5th? Because if you think you could move to california and establish residency within the next 121 minutes that may be a valid option.....(figured you may need some laughs)

Just saw this -- LULZ.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:07 am

they were either gonna handle nov 5th cut off in three ways.

1) When they walked into office on Nov 5th, people who had apps in were considered on time for nov 5th

2) same idea but people who had them in by the time they left the office on nov 5th

3) people who had apps in by the time they come in to work 8am on nov 6th

*you are hoping for option 3
Last edited by Br3v on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

NightmanCometh

Postby NightmanCometh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:08 am

Dear [person]

I just submitted an application to your EA program, and unfortunatley by the time LSAC processed the payment the time was a few seconds past 12 pm EST. I take responsibilty for my actions, and understand if my application can not be included in the EA cut off, however I am very interested in attending cornell being considered for the EA pool. If my application could be included in EA it would be greatly appreciated, though as I stated I understand if this can not be the case.

North

Agree with Br3v, don't mention the competitive until recently part...
I think the more simple, the better...last thing you wanna do is insult their intelligence or give a ton of excuses. You just want them to look at this, understand what happened, and lend you some sympathy...

North

Postby North » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:18 am

Interesting development:

Cornell App EA Section Instructions wrote:Your application must be submitted by November 5, 2012. The Law School's Admissions Office must recieve all required documents, including the LSAC CAS Report by November 15, 2012. Please note, any application completed as of November 15, 2012, will be considered for our Early Action process. Application files completed after Novermber 15, 2012 will be considered in our regular decision process. [...]

Your application must be submitted by November 5, 2012. vs. Please note, any application completed as of November 15, 2012, will be considered for our Early Action process.

Wha? I don't even.
Last edited by North on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

NightmanCometh

Postby NightmanCometh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:20 am

Sorry, I think that means when applications need to be complete by- this means the CAS report, transcripts, LORs.

I think the application itself, including the ps, needed to be turned in by Nov. 1 (or the 5th in this case)...

NightmanCometh

Postby NightmanCometh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:25 am

Thing is though, are you sure you should even be losing any sleep over this EA "boost"?

Especially since it's non-binding, in my view EA is probably meant to give out spots to people who have numbers attractive to them (ie above both medians)- sorta like Duke Priority Track. You can kinda see this from the acceptances they handed out so far. They probably have no incentive to give an early offer to splitters since it's not binding anyway...unless maybe if your LSAT is sky high.

I don't think being in the RD pool will hurt you at all...in the grand scheme of things probably won't have a big impact on your cycle w/ Cornell imo...

North

Postby North » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 am

Alright, I'm falling asleep at my computer. Have to be at work at 8, so I have to turn in.

Thank you Thriller, Nova, sinfiery, Nightman, fruitoftheloom, and everybody in my Chances thread and First Date thread, for helping with every step of this fiasco of an evening.

Brev, I wouldn't have even tried if you hadn't gave the push. Seriously, thank you bro. Either way this works out, I think it was worth it.

ETA: If you're catching the aftermath of these shenanigans tomorrow morning and are interested in reading the shake-n-bake PS I ended up submitting to Cornell, hit me up in a PM. I still need comments on it because I'll probably have to send in at least one more app before the cycle's over.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:13 am

North wrote:Alrigh

ETA: If you're catching the aftermath of these shenanigans tomorrow morning and are interested in reading the shake-n-bake PS I ended up submitting to Cornell, hit me up in a PM. I still need comments on it because I'll probably have to send in at least one more app before the cycle's over.

lol.

Best of luck man, you have TLS rooting for you.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:12 am

Wait, doesn't that quote say you have to submit by November FIRST, not FIFTH? I'm confused.

NightmanCometh

Postby NightmanCometh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:37 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Wait, doesn't that quote say you have to submit by November FIRST, not FIFTH? I'm confused.

Extended to the 5th due to Hurricane Sandy.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:22 am

Since when does Cornell have an EA boost? It's non-binding bro calm down. All it does is guarantee your decision a little bit sooner. Just an incentive to get people to apply more than anything.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:36 am

North wrote:Alright, I found out I might be competitive at Cornell about two days ago and was convinced to apply EA earlier today. I wrote (what I think was) a solid PS in about ten hours and was editing it up until the last few minutes. I didn't expect to have to pay before being able to submit the application. The extra time it took to do that pushed me over the midnight EA deadline by a few seconds.

Is there any tactful way I can ask Cornell to put me in the EA pile without getting a frowny-face on my 3.35/168? I need the EA bump, so I more or less need to be in that pile... Sigh. What a roller-coaster of a day.

Just ask. The fact that you even bother to go through the trouble of asking when you could just say "screw it" (as most applicants would) may actually work to your advantage. They might believe that Cornell is actually your school of choice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”