Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elee
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:57 am

Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby elee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 pm

I received this strange email today:
Dear xxx,

Congratulations on your admission to Harvard Law School. You have been admitted to one of the most preeminent institutions of legal education and to be a part of an exciting and vibrant community. One year ago, I was in your shoes and I understand that considering law school can be a challenging and daunting experience. Fortunately, Harvard Law School has numerous affinity groups that provide students with resources and guidance to assist them in this process of transition.
[insert information on a student group at Harvard inviting my membership]

Unfortunately, I have not applied to Harvard Law yet and this email is a mistake/tease. Anything of this sort happen to other members of this forum?

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby sinfiery » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:25 pm

I got the same email

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:29 pm

What you should do:
Send an email back saying thank you and that you gladly accept. Also let them know you are mailing them your seat deposit. And then mail a seat deposit in to the admissions office.

Maybe that will guilt them into letting you in? (Probably not, but worth the try.)

elee
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby elee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:38 pm

It was an email from a student group even though it was a Harvard mail address. The email admin for that group probably got overzealous. I just wonder how they got my info. I received a second email 40min after that one that was the standard "invite you to apply" from Harvard.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:43 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:What you should do:
Send an email back saying thank you and that you gladly accept. Also let them know you are mailing them your seat deposit. And then mail a seat deposit in to the admissions office.


+1. Except that the second email probably destroys reasonable reliance on the offer.

But someone at Harvard is in trouble I think... that is pretty annoying at the very least. Talk about getting your hopes up (even knowing you didn't apply it must have triggered false hope). If anything maybe you could sue for negligent infliction of emotional distress :lol:

[this is not legal advice: meant as satirical commentary only]

User avatar
abcde12345
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby abcde12345 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:47 pm

Lawquacious wrote:But someone at Harvard is in trouble I think... that is pretty annoying at the very least. Talk about getting your hopes up (even knowing you didn't apply it must have triggered false hope). If anything maybe you could sue for negligent infliction of emotional distress


My plan exactly. Then I'm going to write my PS about how this experience informed my desire to become a lawyer by showing me that legal action can succeed in solving the world's problems.

giantwhale3798
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby giantwhale3798 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 pm

I receive that too. Not sure what that means but I haven't even turned in my application yet.
i replied as: Thanks for your kind email, but unfortunately I haven't turned in my application yet, but I will turn in my application to Harvard Law School very soon and hopefully I could be a member of your organization as you said in the email. Thanks!

elee
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby elee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 pm

abcde12345 wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:But someone at Harvard is in trouble I think... that is pretty annoying at the very least. Talk about getting your hopes up (even knowing you didn't apply it must have triggered false hope). If anything maybe you could sue for negligent infliction of emotional distress


My plan exactly. Then I'm going to write my PS about how this experience informed my desire to become a lawyer by showing me that legal action can succeed in solving the world's problems.


If someone wants to lead up the suit ill jump in! haha just kidding. good luck to everyone

elee
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby elee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 pm

giantwhale3798 wrote:I receive that too. Not sure what that means but I haven't even turned in my application yet.
i replied as: Thanks for your kind email, but unfortunately I haven't turned in my application yet, but I will turn in my application to Harvard Law School very soon and hopefully I could be a member of your organization as you said in the email. Thanks!


I replied in almost the same way but also asked how they obtained my email. I don't think LSAC reports potential candidates to student groups, no?

giantwhale3798
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby giantwhale3798 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:57 pm

elee wrote:
giantwhale3798 wrote:I receive that too. Not sure what that means but I haven't even turned in my application yet.
i replied as: Thanks for your kind email, but unfortunately I haven't turned in my application yet, but I will turn in my application to Harvard Law School very soon and hopefully I could be a member of your organization as you said in the email. Thanks!


I replied in almost the same way but also asked how they obtained my email. I don't think LSAC reports potential candidates to student groups, no?

My law school student neighbor told me to use this email as an advantage to let them help me, haha. I don't want to do that.

User avatar
tsr92
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:52 am

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby tsr92 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 pm

I think the admissions office probably gave the e-mails to various student groups and asked them to reach out to potential applicants. The people that sent the congrats e-mail seem to have misunderstood what they were supposed to be doing.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 pm

abcde12345 wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:But someone at Harvard is in trouble I think... that is pretty annoying at the very least. Talk about getting your hopes up (even knowing you didn't apply it must have triggered false hope). If anything maybe you could sue for negligent infliction of emotional distress


My plan exactly. Then I'm going to write my PS about how this experience informed my desire to become a lawyer by showing me that legal action can succeed in solving the world's problems.


:lol:

giantwhale3798
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby giantwhale3798 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 pm

elee wrote:
giantwhale3798 wrote:I receive that too. Not sure what that means but I haven't even turned in my application yet.
i replied as: Thanks for your kind email, but unfortunately I haven't turned in my application yet, but I will turn in my application to Harvard Law School very soon and hopefully I could be a member of your organization as you said in the email. Thanks!


I replied in almost the same way but also asked how they obtained my email. I don't think LSAC reports potential candidates to student groups, no?


I'm curious too. Things are always not as clear as we thought to be. It's like a judge rule a case before any trials, funny, a law school shouldn't do that

elee
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby elee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:14 am

Just got an apology email from them about the mixup

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby PDaddy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:32 am

A group of rejected Northwestern B-School applicants received acceptance letters a few years ago. Some of them withdrew their other applications and were very upset when they learned that they had not been admitted.

That situation was different in that, upon receipt of the offers of admission, the applicants had a reasonable belief that they had been accepted and relied - o their detriment(s) - upon the letters.

I wonder if they sued their way in. More likely, the B-School admissions office offered to forward letters to the other B-Schools advising them of the error, and the other offices reinstated the withdrawn applications for consideration.

I want to look that up and find out how everything turned out.

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2008/12 ... pplicants/

--LinkRemoved--

elee
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby elee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:18 am

Thing is, this email came from a student group congratulating us rather than acting as if they were the body accepting us. Not much we can do but grumble then grovel :roll:

ajr
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Postby ajr » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:32 am

Oh boy, looks like they have trouble filling their class these days. They have started spamming just like the TTTTs




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hwwong and 6 guests