to disclose? or not to disclose?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Disclose or no disclose?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Disclose
63%
nope
38%

Total votes: 8

rabbitrun

to disclose? or not to disclose?

Postby rabbitrun » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:26 pm

[terrible story about how I was a dumb teenager]
Last edited by rabbitrun on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Elshal

Re: to disclose? or not to disclose?

Postby Mr. Elshal » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:04 am

I think your best bet would be to check if the police actually wrote anything down about this or entered anything into the system. If they never did, and no courts have any records, then you can assume it was not an investigation, but just a misunderstanding. Also, on the flip side, if the police do have anything written down, that may help you find good wording for the disclosure. I had a stupid disclosure too, so I feel your pain. In the end, it's not worth hiding if it needs to be disclosed, but it's not worth disclosing if it "never happened" (By which I do not mean that you should hide anything, just that you should make sure that it actually was something that needs to be disclosed).

For another idea, you can call schools or the bar and, without identifying yourself, ask their opinions.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks!

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:44 pm

You're better off disclosing.

People make mistakes. If it was something stupid when you were a kid, more likely it'll be forgiven. Non-disclosure is a major issue, if caught.
Disclosing only risks not getting in to a particular school (and most schools are quite forgiving), non-disclosure risks not being admitted to the bar.

Note that the wording of school disclosure policies varies, with some schools being far broader than others.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”