Saying "I love you" on the first date.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
North

Saying "I love you" on the first date.

Postby North » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 am

Cornell is my dream school and has been for a long time. Should I proclaim that in my app? I'm a 3.35/168 splitter. Here's where and how I'd do it:

Cornell Law Application wrote:1. Why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School? (Briefly explain your reasons in two to three short sentences.) (maximum characters 1000)
North wrote:Two years ago, I printed out an 8x12 color picture of Myron Taylor Hall and taped it to the hutch of my old desk so that, when I looked up from my studies, I'd be reminded of the reason for my hard work. With it's close-knit classes, breathtaking campus, emphasis on interdisciplinary study, and forward-thinking faculty, Cornell Law alone plays host to everything I value in a legal education. I chose to apply because Cornell is (and always has been) my dream law school.

It's all true. Too creepy? Should I replace it with BS about how I like Ithaca and small class sizes?

WhiteyCakes

Re: Saying "I love you" on the first date.

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:09 am

Seems fine to me, but it probably won't make-or-break your application

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:22 am

It's not creepy. It's fine. But yeah I agree, not sure how much it will help, if any

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 am

It's especially effective if your post-script notes that you are an AA male with Native American ancestors who happens to be sporting a 3.8+ and a 170 or higher LSAT -- because the real goal in law school admissions is to get the law school to love you rather than you loving it. :)

Postby 2014 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:32 am

It doesn't sound sincere to me but that's just because it's over the top for the standard applicant. I don't think it sounds bad though and it certainly won't hurt you.

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:37 am

So I only applied to law schools in NYC and in my essay wrote something like....."since I began living here....I have become reverent of this city.....I will blink and have been here for thirty years because I could never leave."
So not quite the same (city vs. a particular school) but I think if you are truly passionate about something why not?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:38 am

"forward-thinking faculty" ? "close-knit classes" ? "emphasis on inter-disciplinary study" ? Sounds more like Duke Law, than Cornell, to me. Also seems like you're setting yourself up for a huge let-down based on unrealistic expectations.

Overall, seems similiar to one who tapes a picture of a super-model up on the wall & dreams of a relationship founded on superficial expectations.

P.S. Dingbat is right--raises thoughts of dangerous obsession based action if you get rejected.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:43 am

I'm thinking "crazy stalker dude", are they gonna have to worry about you buying a machine gun and come for a visit if they reject you?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:48 am

I like it

North

Postby North » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:52 am

Damn. Then what would I replace it with if I changed it? What is something that might sound sincere enough to indicate genuine interest to AdComms but innocuous enough to keep them from thinking I'm going to
if they reject me and my garbage 168?

CanadianWolf wrote:"forward-thinking faculty" ?

Br3v wrote:I like it

Thanks Brev.

It's seeming like opinions are 50/50ish on this one?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:56 am

As it stands now your numbers are unlikely to get you in. Might as well do something a little "out there" that might have a potential upside because I don't see any downside.

North

Postby North » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 pm

BigZuck wrote:As it stands now your numbers are unlikely to get you in. Might as well do something a little "out there" that might have a potential upside because I don't see any downside.

That's exactly the reason I went out on a limb with it.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:24 pm

North wrote:Cornell is my dream school and has been for a long time. Should I proclaim that in my app? I'm a 3.35/168 splitter. Here's where and how I'd do it:

Cornell Law Application wrote:1. Why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School? (Briefly explain your reasons in two to three short sentences.) (maximum characters 1000)
North wrote:Two years ago, I printed out an 8x12 color picture of Myron Taylor Hall and taped it to the hutch of my old desk so that, when I looked up from my studies, I'd be reminded of the reason for my hard work. With it's close-knit classes, breathtaking campus, emphasis on interdisciplinary study, and forward-thinking faculty, Cornell Law alone plays host to everything I value in a legal education. I chose to apply because Cornell is (and always has been) my dream law school.

It's all true. Too creepy? Should I replace it with BS about how I like Ithaca and small class sizes?

I actually think this is fine and I'm not trying to be a d-bag, but I assume you C & P'd that, so let me point this out: "With it's close-knit classes..."

North

Postby North » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:27 pm

Important Related Question: I'm trying to get the Cornell App out today to to beat the EA deadline. Would it be insane to upload a rough-draft of my PS (because I've only had three days to write it, was surprised by the 168 because ZONES) and submit the application today and then update the application with a final draft of my PS before the day the app is required to be complete (November 15)?

Swimp wrote:I actually think this is fine and I'm not trying to be a d-bag, but I assume you C & P'd that, so let me point this out: "With it's close-knit classes..."

Wow, thank you. Missing that mistake is uncharacteristic -- today is a crazy day. Good catch.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Judging by your GPA, it sounds like the whole picture motivation thing didn't work out so well.

No, this doesn't sound creepy. It's probably far better than the shit they read on most applications. Will it be a game changer? No. Your GPA will likely still keep you out, unless you retake the LSAT and improve.

Postby 071816 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Sup Ted Mosby

North

Postby North » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:07 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:Judging by your GPA, it sounds like the whole picture motivation thing didn't work out so well.

It makes more sense in context -- 1.7 GPA first two semesters, 4.0 for the last six.

North wrote:Important Related Question: I'm trying to get the Cornell App out today to to beat the EA deadline. Would it be insane to upload a rough-draft of my PS (because I've only had three days to write it, was surprised by the 168 because ZONES) and submit the application today and then update the application with a final draft of my PS before the day the app is required to be complete (November 15)?

Any thoughts on this? Tryna game the system.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 pm

chimp wrote:Sup Ted Mosby

god dammit, I came on this thread JUST to post this.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:23 pm

North wrote:
North wrote:Important Related Question: I'm trying to get the Cornell App out today to to beat the EA deadline. Would it be insane to upload a rough-draft of my PS (because I've only had three days to write it, was surprised by the 168 because ZONES) and submit the application today and then update the application with a final draft of my PS before the day the app is required to be complete (November 15)?

This is a bad idea. What if Cornell's admissions people then look at both versions, trying to figure out why you "updated"? Nothing good will come of this idea; the only potential is for bad outcomes.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 pm

paratactical wrote:
North wrote:

This is a bad idea. What if Cornell's admissions people then look at both versions, trying to figure out why you "updated"? Nothing good will come of this idea; the only potential is for bad outcomes.

get off TLS, buckle down, finish that PS, submit today.

Dont upload anything you wuldn't want them to read.

Also, I still like the idea of this little essay. it is not weird and like "what the hack is this?" and it brings a little attention to your file.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Don't send this in as written; you're applying to a professional graduate school, not to the Rolling Stones' fan club.

North

Postby North » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:12 pm

The polarized opinions from TLSers I respect are killing me. I get that it's a risk, but I think I'll roll the dice in hopes that the guy who reads my file will think like Brev or Whitey.

I'll be putting my 3.35/168 on Red.
--ImageRemoved--
Red, for my love. My love of Cornell.

Br3v wrote:get off TLS, buckle down, finish that PS, submit today.

Dont upload anything you wuldn't want them to read.

Doing this right now, dude. I'll only be posting in the PS forum until midnight. Fuck yeah, this is exciting.
Last edited by North on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Dude I am so happy for you. I feel good things with you and cornell. Now get to work.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:33 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
chimp wrote:Sup Ted Mosby

god dammit, I came on this thread JUST to post this.

North

Postby North » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:13 pm

For those of you who are super bored/interested, here's where I'll be posting drafts all night. First draft of a Disciplinary Action statement is in the OP.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”