Transfering to save money?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdpitt

Transfering to save money?

Postby jdpitt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 am

Here is my plan as of now.

3.6-3.7 / 168

I have not started apps for this cycle and am currently waiting on LOR's.

I was thinking of going to a school where I can get a large scholarship and is ranked 14-40. Then transfer to a T14 if I am in the top 1-5% percent for the class. The logic behind this is that if I can not get a high class rank at a lower ranked school then I would not have done well at a T14 and would likely not get big law. I am debt adverse but will take on full price for 2 years at a T14 but I really don't want to for 3.

Does anyone see any flaws in this?

Thanks

wert3813

Re: Transfering to save money?

Postby wert3813 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:14 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:17 am

jdpitt wrote:Here is my plan as of now.

3.6-3.7 / 168

I have not started apps for this cycle and am currently waiting on LOR's.

I was thinking of going to a school where I can get a large scholarship and is ranked 14-40. Then transfer to a T14 if I am in the top 1-5% percent for the class. The logic behind this is that if I can not get a high class rank at a lower ranked school then I would not have done well at a T14 and would likely not get big law. I am debt adverse but will take on full price for 2 years at a T14 but I really don't want to for 3.

Does anyone see any flaws in this?

Thanks

Dumbest. Plan. Ever.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:30 am

If you're top 5% at a T40 school, you can probably score biglaw and won't need to transfer.
If you transfer, firms look at your old school for screener/CB
If you transfer you probably can't compete in any competitions (eg law revue) and I believe in at least one case kind if get screwed for OCI

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:44 am

wert3813 wrote:This is from one of the mods, Vanwinkle:

The LSAT does not matter at all for transferring. 1L grades are the only thing that matter.

If you are transferring "up", that is, from a lower tier of school, then you need exceptional 1L grades. For example, to transfer from a school below the T14 into the T14, you need at least top-10% grades during 1L to even be considered. But as a 0L, you have no way of knowing whether you're capable of getting top-10% grades, and should basically treat 1L grades like random chance. That is, you should assume there's only a 10% chance you will end up in the top 10% of your class, and a 90% chance that you won't.

This is why you should never consider transferring as an option when applying to schools. Only attend a school you would be happy graduating from. If you want to think about transferring as an option, that's fine, but don't factor it into your admissions decision at all. No matter where you go, you shouldn't start thinking about it until you've taken a full semester and gotten enough grades back to know how you do.

That's probably all you need to know about transferring for now.

Wow. I don't even have to post anymore, others are now doing it for me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The above was for a different poster, but works well enough here. More specifically, in this case, I'd add: If your plan is to get "top 1-5% grades" then you have at least a 95% chance of failing. Do you really think you should follow a plan with a 95% failure rate? Also, full price at a T14 for 2 years is $120-140K. Why are you willing to take on this much debt but not $60-70K more?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:57 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdpitt

Postby jdpitt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:35 pm

The only thing I disagree with posted so far is the random chance of doing well in 1L. I understand you can not know for sure how good you will be at law school but I also believe people who have lower GPA / LSAT have a lower probability of doing well than someone with higher numbers. I see the LSAT as more of a measure of who is willing to put the time in when there is something important to do and GPA as your affinity for academic work. If you believe this then it seems that a person with above average GPA and LSAT has an above average chance of doing well.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you believe that a person from a lower ranked school will normally have a lower class rank as they move up the ranks. I think they will.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:33 pm

jdpitt wrote:The only thing I disagree with posted so far is the random chance of doing well in 1L. I understand you can not know for sure how good you will be at law school but I also believe people who have lower GPA / LSAT have a lower probability of doing well than someone with higher numbers. I see the LSAT as more of a measure of who is willing to put the time in when there is something important to do and GPA as your affinity for academic work. If you believe this then it seems that a person with above average GPA and LSAT has an above average chance of doing well.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you believe that a person from a lower ranked school will normally have a lower class rank as they move up the ranks. I think they will.

1) Your LSAT and GPA aren't that impressive relative to most students at most top 40 schools.

2) Even if you will do better relative to the class at a place like Indiana compared to a place like Northwestern, you won't make up for the massive difference in job prospects, especially since your goal is BigLaw. Northwestern routinely places more than 50% of its class into BigLaw while Indiana struggles to place 5% into BigLaw firms*. So if your goal is BigLaw, and your choices are median at Northwestern or top 25% at Indiana, there is no choice to be made. And that's assuming the ridiculous notion that anyone who finishes median at Northwestern is assured top 25% at Indiana is actually true.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 1005122857

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/goto%20l ... s_main.pdf

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”