Character and Fitness

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kaf5250

Character and Fitness

Postby kaf5250 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:01 pm

A school I am applying to asks "Have you ever been arrested or convicted of any offense, excluding minor traffic or parking violations?"

When I was young I was given a citation for underage drinking and asked to appear in court. I was never breathalyzed or taken into custody, the charges were dropped, and there is currently nothing on my record. Does this count as being "arrested" or do you need to be actually taken into custody for it to count as an arrest? Do I have to disclose this or am I ok to leave it out?

dingbat

Re: Character and Fitness

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:08 pm

This issue will have zero impact on your chance of getting accepted.
When in doubt, it's better to disclose even if not needed, than to run into trouble for failing to disclose.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:09 pm

dingbat wrote:This issue will have zero impact on your chance of getting accepted.
When in doubt, it's better to disclose even if not needed, than to run into trouble for failing to disclose.

+1

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:10 pm

You are under arrest when you are not free to leave.

lakers24fan

Postby lakers24fan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:57 pm

dingbat wrote:This issue will have zero impact on your chance of getting accepted.

Just curious, how would a law school even find about about something like this? If there is no record, how could the OP "run into trouble for failing to disclose"?

Thanks

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:58 pm

lakers24fan wrote:

Just curious, how would a law school even find about about something like this? If there is no record, how could the OP "run into trouble for failing to disclose"?

Thanks

He was cited...that is a record.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”