Declaring you've attended another school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bplanc12

Declaring you've attended another school?

Postby bplanc12 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:15 pm

Hello!

I was planning on beginning law school last fall (2011). I was all ready to start class until a few days before class was set to begin, my family went through some unexpected financial hardship. Luckily I was able to line up a job on very short notice to be able to contribute financially. The school I was about to start at was very understanding and I withdrew to go work for a few years. Things are beginning to stabilize now and I believe I will be able to apply next year to begin school Fall 2014. However, I know that on most applications you have to disclose if you've ever attended another law school. I'm honestly not sure if I would have to put down "yes" or "no" in my application. I would obviously be thrilled to go back to the school I was set to enroll at, but would apply to other schools just to keep options open especially in term of financial aid. Would I have to disclose this, and if I did would other schools be understanding if I wrote an addendum? Do you think this would hurt me? I definitely want to be honest on any application!

Thanks!

rinkrat19

Re: Declaring you've attended another school?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm

You didn't attend. Say no.

If you are really unsure, just call the school and ask how they would like you to answer the question (you don't even have to give them your name, most of the time).

This isn't a question that will kill you unless you left your old school for some potentially damaging reason, like cheating or behavioral problems or something.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:22 pm

bplanc12 wrote:Hello!

I was planning on beginning law school last fall (2011). I was all ready to start class until a few days before class was set to begin, my family went through some unexpected financial hardship. Luckily I was able to line up a job on very short notice to be able to contribute financially. The school I was about to start at was very understanding and I withdrew to go work for a few years. Things are beginning to stabilize now and I believe I will be able to apply next year to begin school Fall 2014. However, I know that on most applications you have to disclose if you've ever attended another law school. I'm honestly not sure if I would have to put down "yes" or "no" in my application. I would obviously be thrilled to go back to the school I was set to enroll at, but would apply to other schools just to keep options open especially in term of financial aid. Would I have to disclose this, and if I did would other schools be understanding if I wrote an addendum? Do you think this would hurt me? I definitely want to be honest on any application!

Thanks!

I had a similar-ish situation and I called the schools I applied to to ask. They can look up whether it is documented that you attended another school. I was told that recently it switched over that you had to attend for I think 30 days for it to be on the record, and thus I was on the record as having never attended a law school. You are probably the same, but when you apply you can call a school and find out.

bplanc12

Postby bplanc12 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Oh ok great thanks that's all very helpful!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”