NU JD/MBA vs NU Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

NU JD/MBA vs NU Law

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Stats: I took the October LSAT and felt that I massively underperformed getting a 169. I was PTing in the high 170s. Retaking in December. My GPA is 3.67 and my GMAT is 680. I'm a female investment banking analyst with 2 years work experience.

I just want to be a lawyer, but I feel like I have a better chance of admission at NU applying through the JD/MBA program which uses Kellogg's admissions folks. I certainly think an MBA would be helpful so it wouldn't be a waste. But it is significantly more expensive and with my GMAT and LSAT, I'm not looking at any money. The JD/MBA program is only 25% female, so I will absolutely get a boost for being a girl. My concern about getting into the JD/MBA is my experience (only 2 years WE, though I've heard bschools just looovvvve bankers).

The JD/MBA apps are due January 3, so it's likely I'll have my LSAT retake score back before I have to pull the trigger, but with the Sandy debacle this time around I don't feel like I can count on that.

So I just want to know what you guys think about my chances at NU Law vs. JD/MBA, I know you're not experts at MBA applications. Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: NU JD/MBA vs NU Law

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:49 pm

If "massively underperformed" on the LSAT is a 169, then your thread should be titled "NU JD/MBA versus NU law on scholarship versus Harvard Law". (Assuming a successful retake.)

If you can earn both an MBA & a JD from Northwestern, then do it unless offered the same at Harvard, Stanford or Penn. Columbia, too. In which case, you have Harvard, Stanford & a three way tie among the others, in my opinion.

The issue, however, is whether or not a 680 GMAT is enough for any of those programs.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Chances with a 169 and a 3.67 at NU Law are not good, you need to gain at least a point (and probably a few) on the retake to have a good shot.

Kellogg/dual degree admissions are not as easy to predict. You have a shot, but it's not really a check the banker+female boxes kind of thing. The work experience and GMAT are probably your biggest drawbacks since they are both on the low end for Kellogg.

The JD-MBA program is a lot more money, but it has a lot of advantages relative to straight JD. I think it can be worth it even if you "just" want to be a lawyer. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Consider Duke, Texas & Virginia, as well. Michigan is another to consider.

P.S. Why, in light of your GMAT 680, do you consider a 169 on the LSAT as "massively underperformed" ? Seems pretty close to me.

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Consider Duke, Texas & Virginia, as well. Michigan is another to consider.

P.S. Why, in light of your GMAT 680, do you consider a 169 on the LSAT as "massively underperformed" ? Seems pretty close to me.
Well, I didn't study much for the GMAT and took it 2 years ago, and my LSAT PTs were consistently averaging 176...So getting a 169 was a big shock...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Consider retaking both exams then.

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:11 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Consider retaking both exams then.
I'm definitely not retaking the GMAT. But I'm signed up to retake the LSAT for December.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:15 pm

If you don't need scholarship money or acceptance to a top 5 dual degree program, then good luck. Seems as if the GMAT would be easier for you since you've been an investment banker for the past two years. You need to overcome your 3.67 GPA for the top 3, maybe top 5, law schools.

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:21 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If you don't need scholarship money or acceptance to a top 5 dual degree program, then good luck. Seems as if the GMAT would be easier for you since you've been an investment banker for the past two years.
I'm not really looking for a dual degree, but NU has an integrated admissions process and the JD/MBA only takes 3 years. So, given my background, it seems like I'd be passing up a great opportunity to get an MBA from a great school, which has never hurt anyone. NU is my top school, but I'm also going to apply to Michigan, maybe UVA and Duke and depending on retake CCN.

Btw, thanks for your responses, definitely helpful!

ruthevans41

New

Post by ruthevans41 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:52 am

I guess it all depends on how dedicated you are to being a lawyer. Would it be worth pursuing an MBA so that you can look into other industries after you've finished your studies? If not, it doesn't seem to make sense to take time away from pursuing a reputable law school. Guess it comes down to your gut, but I agree that receiving an MBA from a reputable college or university can do wonders for a professional career. I received my MBA from Babson College in Boston and couldn't have been more pleased with my experience. Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”