should I declare a former law suit against my school in PS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ineedapillow

should I declare a former law suit against my school in PS?

Postby Ineedapillow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:51 pm

I once filed a law suit against my grad school and a professor, it lasted about 2 years and got settled without going to trial. I got my master degree and compensation and that professor got fired.
Should I write this in my personal statement? Will law schools think I am brave & strategic/ annoying & pain in the ass /they don't care ?
PS: after the law suit I started working for the lawyer represented me, so basically that is why I got two engineering degree but decided to pursuit law as my career path.

patrickd139

Re: should I declare a former law suit against my school in PS?

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm confused: why would you disclose it?

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Seems like a bad idea

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:05 pm

Ineedapillow wrote:I once filed a law suit against my grad school and a professor, it lasted about 2 years and got settled without going to trial. I got my master degree and compensation and that professor got fired.
Should I write this in my personal statement? Will law schools think I am brave & strategic/ annoying & pain in the ass /they don't care ?
PS: after the law suit I started working for the lawyer represented me, so basically that is why I got two engineering degree but decided to pursuit law as my career path.

Really? You think that saying that you filed suit against school X will endear you to another school?

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Yupp, I would like a job at your establishment. Just to show how resourceful I am I took legal action against my last employer and they settled out of court but that million bucks is gone, so I need a new job.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Depends A LOT on what the case was about. If the teacher called you a mean name and the school settled just to avoid having to deal with trial and legal fees, then absolutely not. If the teacher was committing some gross injustice that you helped solve for yourself and others, maybe. You should definitely post some details because of how widely the answer to this can vary.

Also, by "declare" I assume you mean to make this the topic of your PS. If so, refer to what I said above. If, by "declare," you mean to simply include within the rest of your essay, you probably should not, but again, refer to my first paragraph.

Finally, it is almost definite that this will make schools wary of you, unless it's a great story and one that does not make them fear admitting an overly-litigious student.

Ineedapillow

Postby Ineedapillow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:10 pm

It was a sexual harassment case. From the response above it seems a bad idea write it in my personal statement.

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Ineedapillow wrote:It was a sexual harassment case. From the response above it seems a bad idea write it in my personal statement.

If it was a sexual harassment case, then I think it could definitely provide good material for a PS, provided you address the topic appropriately (they don't like it when you get overly personal to the point of awkwardness). I think the above posters assumed it was something silly. Sexual harassment is definitely not silly.

Ineedapillow

Postby Ineedapillow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:20 pm

The fact is I can't describe it too detailed even in my PS since I signed a confidential agreement.
I am an international student, my second year in my grad school a professor asked some sexual favor, I turned down him and he threaten to kick me out(he is a highly rank official at school too). Since I was on student visa so that means once I lose my status in school I have to leave the country. At that time I had no choice but filed the law suit.
That was a long and terrible process, that professor threaten to hunt me down and kill me...I guess being a foreigner sometimes has it disadvantages. :(

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:20 pm

abcde12345 wrote:
Ineedapillow wrote:It was a sexual harassment case. From the response above it seems a bad idea write it in my personal statement.

If it was a sexual harassment case, then I think it could definitely provide good material for a PS, provided you address the topic appropriately (they don't like it when you get overly personal to the point of awkwardness). I think the above posters assumed it was something silly. Sexual harassment is definitely not silly.

Yeah, it could be done but is still a tight rope to walk.

True Story: I worked in a restaurant and got my wife a job there. The GM was more than a raging A-hole and crossed enough lines to generate some serious legal action. He was best buds with the regional VP and they wiped everything under the rug.

He had an episode that involved my wife and I sent letters to the CEO, VP Operations and the Chief Legal Counsel as well as to the GM and regional VP. It was justified and even loyal to the company at large but NO ONE that knows I did this would hire me.

Just be careful.

Ineedapillow

Postby Ineedapillow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks for the advice, I guess I should not write it in my PS, after all it was a sensitive matter.

JCFindley wrote:
abcde12345 wrote:

Yeah, it could be done but is still a tight rope to walk.

True Story: I worked in a restaurant and got my wife a job there. The GM was more than a raging A-hole and crossed enough lines to generate some serious legal action. He was best buds with the regional VP and they wiped everything under the rug.

He had an episode that involved my wife and I sent letters to the CEO, VP Operations and the Chief Legal Counsel as well as to the GM and regional VP. It was justified and even loyal to the company at large but NO ONE that knows I did this would hire me.

Just be careful.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:34 pm

I kind of disagree with the sentiments to avoid it. I think if done tastefully it could be a very strong personal statement. It shows that you went through a bad situation but had the courage to stand up for yourself and do what needed to be done. It is also what inspired your desire to become an attorney. I think if it was written well it *could* be a very strong personal statement.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:38 pm

Ineedapillow wrote:The fact is I can't describe it too detailed even in my PS since I signed a confidential agreement.

Also I see the above being a bit of a problem...

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:43 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Ineedapillow wrote:The fact is I can't describe it too detailed even in my PS since I signed a confidential agreement.

Do not discuss it - you don't want to risk violating the confi and you probably can't write a good statement without violating it

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:48 pm

It actually sounds like something interesting which if done correctly could work to your advantage.

For example, discuss how you overcame the situation, and how it made you into a stronger person.

Talk about the significance it had on your life. It all depends on how you word it. You don't want to seem like a trouble maker. Make it clear that you had no choice but to bring a lawsuit against the school. Discuss how you would have been kicked out of school if you didn't perform a sexual favor for a Professor, which in-turn would have kicked you out of the country.

If you're unable to write it correctly don't do it.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:49 pm

dingbat wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

Do not discuss it - you don't want to risk violating the confi and you probably can't write a good statement without violating it

You think mentioning that it was simply a sexual harassment suit would violate it? I really have no idea. I thought it would be a nice way to show a unique motivation for wanting to practice law.

Ineedapillow

Postby Ineedapillow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks for all your people's advice. I am not sure how much I could write due to that agreement, I asked my lawyer (who is also my boss) he said it would be fine if I mentioned it vaguely. He did strongly suggest me put that in my personal statement. (he also suggested me to write a book, so I guess he is a little crazy)
Is there any consulting service I can use for my personal statement, I checked online, most prep companies have that service, which one is better?
I did ask my prep-course tutor to help me about the PS (I said I would pay him), but he asked me for a drink, so I think it is not a good idea let him help my application right?

indo

Postby indo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:05 pm

dingbat wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

+1 .

The confidential agreement might bite you later. Talk to your previous lawyer before you talk and disclose it to anyone.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Ineedapillow wrote:Thanks for all your people's advice. I am not sure how much I could write due to that agreement, I asked my lawyer (who is also my boss) he said it would be fine if I mentioned it vaguely. He did strongly suggest me put that in my personal statement. (he also suggested me to write a book, so I guess he is a little crazy)
Is there any consulting service I can use for my personal statement, I checked online, most prep companies have that service, which one is better?
I did ask my prep-course tutor to help me about the PS (I said I would pay him), but he asked me for a drink, so I think it is not a good idea let him help my application right?

When I started writing my personal statement a few years ago I found a few people on TLS to edit it. I posted my first few drafts publicly for people to critique and then once I had it close to finished I messaged it to people. I think it ended up being a really solid statement and people on this site are usually very welling to help, myself included! :)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:12 pm

nygrrrl wrote:

Yeah, breaking a confidentiality agreement in a law school application will surely impress the schools that you care about the law.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:14 pm

There have to be better, less risky things to write about. Law school apps are just about reducing risk unless the school is a super reach.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Sorry about the double post: cell phone
Last edited by dingbat on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
dingbat wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

You think mentioning that it was simply a sexual harassment suit would violate it? I really have no idea. I thought it would be a nice way to show a unique motivation for wanting to practice law.

I don't know the terms of the confi and I'm not a lawyer but I don't know how you write a good PS without giving at least some details

It's a high risk topic. Can it be done right? Absolutely. Is it worth the risk? Hell no.

Generally, a good PS doesn't give you much of a boost, relative to your numbers, but a bad PS can ruin an otherwise good app. It's just not worth the risk

Ineedapillow

Postby Ineedapillow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:26 pm

I talked to my lawyer again, and he said I should not put this in my personal statement, he wasn't worried about the agreement too much, he just said no school wants a student sued other school before.
I guess the case settled here, thanks for all your advice and kind help.

izha

Postby izha » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:30 am

Ineedapillow wrote:I talked to my lawyer again, and he said I should not put this in my personal statement, he wasn't worried about the agreement too much, he just said no school wants a student sued other school before.
I guess the case settled here, thanks for all your advice and kind help.

You should put it in your PS statement only for "reach" schools. Then it works as low risk (you would probably miss on those schools anyway) high reward (someone might get really interested in your story) try.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”