Failing Grade on LSAC Academic Summary Report Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Fouxdufafa

New

Failing Grade on LSAC Academic Summary Report

Post by Fouxdufafa » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:37 am

Hello all,

Quick question regarding the LSAC summary report. I was taking a look at mine and noticed that I had one unit of "0.49 & Down F Hours Earned". The culprit? A one unit Physical Education class from my time at community college.

I have a few questions regarding this:

Does it matter? I have a strong LSAC GPA (3.95), so this number does not drag things down too much.

Do law schools look at your transcripts in addition to the report? If they see the transcript, they will note that I failed P.E. and will (hopefully) disregard the grade. If they do not see this, however, they may think I failed an actual course...

Any advice is appreciated!

Nova

Platinum

Re: Failing Grade on LSAC Academic Summary Report

Post by Nova » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:40 am

Please explain how you failed P.E.

Fouxdufafa

New

Post by Fouxdufafa » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:55 am

@Nova - I knew this question was inevitable. Let's just say there was an instructor with a heavy bias against high achieving students. I know that sounds pretentious, but it was the case. After issuing the failing grade, he likened my showing up to PE class and not being athletic to when he showed up every day to his physics class and still failed every exam. This argument is flawed in that it draws an inappropriate analogy.

I didn't challenge the grade at the time because I did not think it mattered (not included in my GPA). But now it appears to have come back to bite me in the ass. Or is it irrelevant?

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:55 am

Do you have an LSAT score?

Fouxdufafa

New

Post by Fouxdufafa » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:58 am

164. Thinking of retaking and applying next cycle. But that's a whole other story...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:01 am

Fouxdufafa wrote:164. Thinking of retaking and applying next cycle. But that's a whole other story...

TBH, Your GPA will speak for itself. All these schools care about are statistics; they see a 3.95 gpa and that's all that matters.

In the words of TLS, Retake; especially with that GPA.

I'm sorry but I still can't believe you failedl gym :lol: <3

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:12 am

May not be athletic enough for T14. Probably will want to submit an addendum with some recent combine results.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:49 am

Fouxdufafa wrote:@Nova - I knew this question was inevitable. Let's just say there was an instructor with a heavy bias against high achieving students. I know that sounds pretentious, but it was the case. After issuing the failing grade, he likened my showing up to PE class and not being athletic to when he showed up every day to his physics class and still failed every exam. This argument is flawed in that it draws an inappropriate analogy.

I didn't challenge the grade at the time because I did not think it mattered (not included in my GPA). But now it appears to have come back to bite me in the ass. Or is it irrelevant?
lol. He seems like a huge d-bag but seriously how did you fail? Did you wear black soled shoes and scuff his floor everyday just to fuck with him?

To answer your question, it is not relevant. I assume it might matter at YHS a tiny bit just having the F on the transcript, but I didn't have anywhere near your GPA to consider those schools or know enough about their admissions.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:50 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:May not be athletic enough for T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:45 am

@Nova - I knew this question was inevitable. Let's just say there was an instructor with a heavy bias against high achieving students. I know that sounds pretentious, but it was the case. After issuing the failing grade, he likened my showing up to PE class and not being athletic to when he showed up every day to his physics class and still failed every exam. This argument is flawed in that it draws an inappropriate analogy.
Are you sure you don't mean "refusing to participate?" How, exactly, would a community college p.e. instructor know you were a "high achieving student" anyway? So he failed you, through no fault of your own whatsoever, because he pegged you for a smartie and you couldn't throw a perfect spiral no matter how hard you tried? Sure......

No matter anyhow, none of this shit matters anyway. You have a badass GPA and mediocre LSAT which means RETAKE. Go get a 170+ and enjoy T14 $$$. Stop tripping about the wrong stuff. Worry about your LSAT, its all that matters.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:40 am

Include an addendum because it's a clear anomaly that will make adcomms wonder wtf happened. This will also allow you to point out it was a gym class. Because one typically has to have a bad attitude or something extreme in order to fail a gym class, you may want to include something to show that's not the case. For example, in my high school gym class, my grade was partially based on my ability to serve a volleyball, with more points awarded to certain areas of the court. I pulled it off on test day but remember being really nervous because I couldn't even get it over the net in practice. If a bad attitude IS part of the reason you failed, show a brief example of how your attitude has improved (a teamwork award at work, leadership experience, etc.).

Fouxdufafa

New

Post by Fouxdufafa » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:01 am

Hey all, thanks for the replies.

To @Whiskeyncoke - participation wasn't exactly the problem. At the beginning of the semester, we had all these measurements taken (i.e. weight, flexibility, body fat percentage etc.) and at the end of the semester my stats were pretty much the same, which was his basis for not passing me. He knew I was a good student because when I talked to him about my grade, he asked about my GPA, and then teased me about it. Generally, the guy had a reputation for this behavior, and I had several friends complain to the dean and get their grades removed. Like I said, did not think it mattered at the time.

Anyways, I realize that the concept of failing P.E. is laughable and that whether or not I deserved to pass the class is debatable. At this point I am mainly concerned with the impact it would have, if any, on my law school apps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”