ED and retake Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
someguy55

New

ED and retake

Post by someguy55 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:02 am

//
Last edited by someguy55 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: ED and retake

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:20 am

I can't say definitively that they won't give you money, but you need to realize that they have no motivation to. You're committed; they don't need to lure you in with money.

someguy55

New

Post by someguy55 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:17 am

but if your numbers are above medians, isn't it likely you will get money?

remix

New

Post by remix » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:24 am

someguy55 wrote:but if your numbers are above medians, isn't it likely you will get money?
Only if you apply RD. If you apply ED, you have no leverage. At all.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:20 am

but if your numbers are above medians, isn't it likely you will get money?
Major fail on your part man, you should've done your research. EDing is for people for whom the school is somewhat a reach. They were unlikely/not guaranteed to get in RD and were surely not getting much $ anyway. People who are above both medians are often near-guaranteed acceptance. Because these above-median applicants likely got in to "better" (higher ranked) schools the school in question must offer them scholarship money to entice them to attend their institution instead of said "better school." It's a bidding game where schools buy your numbers to improve their rank. This is why people who are above both medians get $$$ - they leverage the schools. Except.... if they ED. Those people get no $$.

If you did a binding early decision, and indeed are above both medians, you may have completely screwed yourself, possibly out of tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands). Why would a school waste scholarship money on you when they already have you by the balls? That's not how this game works.

You might genuinely want to consider sitting this cycle out if you end up with no money at a school your above both medians at.... seriously.

someguy55

New

Post by someguy55 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 am

im not above both medians bro, I was just wondering if I retook and became above both. I'm above one and way below the other, so I doubt i'll even get in. Professional poker is what i'm looking into now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”