Early Penn 2nd round

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
djwjddl

Early Penn 2nd round

Postby djwjddl » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:58 pm

I am currently Thinking about applying early to Chicago. However, I noticed that penn has a 2 round early decision process with the 2nd deadline in January. I assume you can't submit an early app to Chicago and another to penn, even if its to penns second round. If that's the case what's the best strategy here?

Do you submit early to Chicago and then submit regular to penn but change to early the moment you hear back from Chicago? When's the latest you can change your application type for penn? Waiting to apply to penn until I hear back from chicago wouldn't be a smart move right?

I appreciate the feedback.

senorhosh

Re: Early Penn 2nd round

Postby senorhosh » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:32 pm

djwjddl wrote:I am currently Thinking about applying early to Chicago. However, I noticed that penn has a 2 round early decision process with the 2nd deadline in January. I assume you can't submit an early app to Chicago and another to penn, even if its to penns second round. If that's the case what's the best strategy here?

Do you submit early to Chicago and then submit regular to penn but change to early the moment you hear back from Chicago? When's the latest you can change your application type for penn? Waiting to apply to penn until I hear back from chicago wouldn't be a smart move right?

I appreciate the feedback.

You can't have 2 ED apps at once so that's out.
Another "rule" according to their contract is you can't ED Chicago (or any of the CCN) and ED to another school (even if you get WL/rejected). But this one isn't taken to heart by a lot of TLS-ers so you have to decide if you want to break the rule. I personally chose not to ED NYU -> ED Penn because of this. In the end it's your choice but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you decide to 2nd round ED Penn, it goes either way.
If you send your app in early RD, you might get an early reject. I doubt it though. Some people got rejected mid Dec last couple years. but I think those were mostly/all ED applicants. I'm not sure if it gives you an advantage of applying "early" if you switch to ED 2nd round though.

I would just RD then change to ED 2nd round. I have a feeling a lot of schools are going to wait before they auto-reject/WL students this year due to the decrease in applicants.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”