Is it okay to take time off before law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
prospectivejd

Is it okay to take time off before law school?

Postby prospectivejd » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:46 am

I graduate from Undergrad in Fall 2013, so the next law school application window would be for Fall 2014. I was wondering if law schools would judge the 8 month gap between undergrad and law school negatively?

If so, would it be better to stretch out my courses to graduate in Spring 2014, and then apply for law school in Fall 2014? This wouldn't be the preferred option for me, since i'm taking out loans per semester.

And if law schools wouldn't see the time gap as detrimental, any recommendations for beneficial ways to use my time gap?

Thank you in advance,

Megan

dr123

Re: Is it okay to take time off before law school?

Postby dr123 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:48 am

get a job

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:51 am

There is no such thing as a "gap" because you aren't expected to go straight through. A lot of people have several years in between.

I'd get a job or at least an internship.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:58 am

Not only is it okay, it's recommended.

You'll see people talk on here about "WE" or work experience, which means full-time employment between UG and law school. Law schools like applicants with WE because they tended to be more mature and well-rounded than folks coming straight through from UG. Employers tend to like folks with WE because they know what it's like to work full-time already. And in my personal opinion, those who have a couple years (or more) of WE do better in law school because they have a better set of tools for dealing with law school (which is much harder and less structured than UG).

So, yes, take time off, find a job, chill for a while and relax. Take a full year or more off, if you can find a job you're okay with in the meantime. It'll be good for you.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:37 am

The "gap" to which you are referring is one most applicants have. Most 2014 applicants will spend the fall of 2013 tightening up essays and applications and even preparing for the Oct/Dec 2013 LSATs. Many of them work or volunteer during the intervening F-W-S before law school while others volunteer.

If you are 21-30 years old, why not make that gap 2 years and use that time to strengthen your profile? More students should go this route than actually do.

Just remember to be very productive if you take time off. Do Teach for America or work a job that gives you an opportunity to make decisions, solve complex issues, manage people, interact with outside agencies, businesses or the government, supervise others, or otherwise demonstrate leadership. improve your writing via those endeavors - if at all possible.

If your gap is eight months, consider using that time to resume a volunteer opportunity you started during undergrad. If you are non-URM, take time off without working and have a community service deficiency, this would be a good use of your time.

rouser

Postby rouser » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:21 am

vanwinkle wrote:Not only is it okay, it's recommended.

this plus if you don't get a job I recommend trying to get something on your resume. volunteer or something.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:52 am

Travel, work, intern, volunteer....don't go directly

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:59 am

PDaddy wrote:The "gap" to which you are referring is one most applicants have. Most 2014 applicants will spend the fall of 2013 tightening up essays and applications and even preparing for the Oct/Dec 2013 LSATs. Many of them work or volunteer during the intervening F-W-S before law school while others volunteer.

If you are 21-30 years old, why not make that gap 2 years and use that time to strengthen your profile? More students should go this route than actually do.

Just remember to be very productive if you take time off. Do Teach for America or work a job that gives you an opportunity to make decisions, solve complex issues, manage people, interact with outside agencies, businesses or the government, supervise others, or otherwise demonstrate leadership. improve your writing via those endeavors - if at all possible.

If your gap is eight months, consider using that time to resume a volunteer opportunity you started during undergrad. If you are non-URM, take time off without working and have a community service deficiency, this would be a good use of your time.

please read up on teach for america before promoting it

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”