Point of applying to a safety?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BlueJeanBaby

Point of applying to a safety?

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:07 pm

I am becoming less optimistic about my chances of getting accepted to a single school I applied to. I applied only to schools I would really jump at the chance to go to if I were accepted. My husband is insisting I throw an application at the local TTT, but I don't know what the point is. They don't give full-scholarships and even with the highest possible scholarship (that I have seen), I'd still be paying close to 18k/year to attend. I know applicants are generally encouraged to apply to a safety school, but in a situation like mine where a safety school would be a TTT, does that still seem like a good idea? I really want to (finally) go to law school, but regardless of all the perks the TTT would provide me, it isn't where I want to be. Another option I've been considering is an LSAT retake in February to nudge myself off waitlists (and I am anticipating quite a few waitlists). Does this seem like a rational alternative to a safety?

JamMasterJ

Re: Point of applying to a safety?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:09 pm

yes. There's no point in applying to a safety you wouldn't actually want to attend. The worst school I applied to was a T14, because I knew if I didn't get in, it made more sense to wait a year and try again than to go somewhere that wasn't a good decision.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:17 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:yes. There's no point in applying to a safety you wouldn't actually want to attend. The worst school I applied to was a T14, because I knew if I didn't get in, it made more sense to wait a year and try again than to go somewhere that wasn't a good decision.

I really don't want to wait another year. Do you think the February retake plan is at all realistic?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:24 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:yes. There's no point in applying to a safety you wouldn't actually want to attend. The worst school I applied to was a T14, because I knew if I didn't get in, it made more sense to wait a year and try again than to go somewhere that wasn't a good decision.

I really don't want to wait another year. Do you think the February retake plan is at all realistic?

Think this through, waiting another year could result in tens of thousands of dollars saved and a shot at making far more money that you would if you go now. I understand the hesitation to wait, I had it, but I put off law school for two years (on top of the seven I had already been out of undergrad) to make sure I had the highest possible LSAT and I made it into a school that would give me the best opportunity to succeed. You only have one shot once you apply, are accepted, and decide to attend, make sure you don't have any regrets as to where you may have ended up. Trust me, that would be far more difficult to deal with, especially when you're looking for a job in the over saturated legal field than putting off attendance for a year.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Icculus wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

Think this through, waiting another year could result in tens of thousands of dollars saved and a shot at making far more money that you would if you go now. I understand the hesitation to wait, I had it, but I put off law school for two years (on top of the seven I had already been out of undergrad) to make sure I had the highest possible LSAT and I made it into a school that would give me the best opportunity to succeed. You only have one shot once you apply, are accepted, and decide to attend, make sure you don't have any regrets as to where you may have ended up. Trust me, that would be far more difficult to deal with, especially when you're looking for a job in the over saturated legal field than putting off attendance for a year.

Well, the main reason I want to go ahead and go in this year is because I am trying to match my law school graduation with the end of my husband's military commitment. I NEED decent healthcare and my healthcare bills are very expensive so I really wanted him to stay in the duration of my law school. He is set up to get a good job but I don't want to bank on that.

This is the fourth consecutive year I've at least considered applying to law school. I've even committed to a school before. I've already taken the LSAT multiple times (the first time being in 2009), but still think I could pull off an extra point or two with study. My goals are much lower than T14, but they are what I believe to be decent T1 schools that I would really like to attend. If I can just swing ONE acceptance I would be happy.
Last edited by BlueJeanBaby on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:01 pm

Apply to the schools you'd actually go to. If you want to go to UGA/Emory and would not consider GSU, even at full tuition then there is no point in applying to GSU. If you think there's a chance you'd actually go under those circumstances, then why not apply?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”