how much do 'softs' help? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scottybear

New

how much do 'softs' help?

Post by scottybear » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi everyone-
just got my lsats back yesterday... since I'm sure nobody else did and might be similarly freaking out, i have a question :)

How much do softs actually help, say, if predictor tools suggest that one will not get in or will get a weak consider? I was hoping for some mid-to-late teen-ranked schools, but that looks unlikely unless softs and ED can make a significant difference.

Does anyone have any advice on where I maybe should be applying? The predictor doesn't take a lot of factors into consideration, and I'm just not sure if these make a difference or not.

I went to UC riverside, earned 2 bachelor's degrees (one on polysci), and just finished up an MA at San Jose State (CSU). my lsdas GPA sucks (2.7) but most of my bad grades were from community college... once i transferred to riverside my grades improved a ton and I earned a 3.7 in grad school. I have letters of recommendation from professors at riverside, SJSU, and UCLA where I now work, and I got a 171 on the LSATS.
the predictor tells me I start getting considers around the top 20's and start getting admitted around the 30's. Will the fact that my crap grades were 10 years ago and my good graduate GPA (or the graduate degree itself, or the multiple Bachelor's) make any kind of difference, or should I consider the predictor's predictions pretty accurate despite all the work i've put in since my (first) freshman year?

thanks everyone

roaringeagle

Bronze

Re: how much do 'softs' help?

Post by roaringeagle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:08 pm

pm me your score and ill let you know. schools definitely look for fit but that gpa is gonna hurt you.

edit: schools do like to see an upward trend in gpa

honeycomb

New

Post by honeycomb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:11 pm

General consensus that I've gathered on here is that only extraordinary softs (think Rhodes scholarship extraordinary) will be enough to give a slight boost.

UG GPA is what the schools are asked to submit to USNWR so that is what they care about. A great GPA in a master's program certainly can't hurt you, but ultimately the schools care about what they need to submit for rankings.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:14 pm

yeah but read the guys post he says even in undergrad his grades got better. schools really like that and an addendum letter helps. i do think he has to hit over or at least 167 to get into a top 20 school though.

honeycomb

New

Post by honeycomb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Not disputing that upward grade trend doesn't help, especially when combined with OP's success in his grad program. I think that with an addendum and with academic LORs that attest to the kind of high caliber academic performance from OPs later UG years and MA years it will help.

I was just responding to the original question about how much 'softs' help: not much, unless it's extraordinary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:26 pm

He said he got a 171, you guys gotta pay more attention. In regards to your question about softs, the quick answer is no, they won't overcome shitty numbers (unless nobel laureate, mother theresa, etc.). If you look at the US News rankings, which is the standard by which most admissions officers are judged/promoted/fired, you'll quickly realize there are no points given for matriculants "softs." The game is pretty much 100% UGPA and LSAT scores. Softs won't overcome shitty numbers, but they may tip the scale in your favor if your numbers put you into the "maybe" category.

I won't lie, your 2.7 GPA is really gonna hurt you. However, if this cycle turns out to be more down in apps than last year, you could see a miracle. If the Feb/June 2012 LSATs are any indication, it will be (both saw reductions in test takers). 170+ LSAT's are in very short supply, and i bet at least one T14 will nibble at that score. Send out lots of apps, you could get lucky somewhere.

- The accuracy of the predictors will be pretty close, but if this cycle is really down there could be some surprises.
- Apply to at least 15-20 schools.
- Northwestern is known to let low GPA's slide in favor of LSAT's and work experience. Throw them an app.
- G-Town has a huge class and can afford to let in a few splitters. You have a decent shot here.

Basically, unless your a URM I'd apply to every school outside of the T6 and Berkeley. That LSAT could be gold this cycle.... you never know what could happen. and oh yea, don't be like the tards in "Suits" and call it the "LSATS." It's not plural dude.

vman21

Bronze

Post by vman21 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:56 pm

(o '.')-o

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”