Post-October 2012 Fee Waivers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
googlesearch

Re: Post-October 2012 Fee Waivers

Postby googlesearch » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:16 am

Columbia
NYU
Penn
UVA
Northwestern
Georgetown

(may be a Michicagn hidden/snail)

Only have Chicago left to go!

annet

Postby annet » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:17 pm

George Mason snail mail today (postcard).

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:22 pm

3.5/176

unsolicited:
UVA
Michigan (snail mail)
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Bunch of TTTS

solicited:
GULC
UCLA
Maybe Duke (Dean responded to my solicitation by asking me to tell him about myself and why I am interested in Duke Law)

Fouxdufafa

Postby Fouxdufafa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Unsolicited:

Berkeley
UCLA
USC
U Penn
UCLA
UVA
BU
Northwestern

Has anyone been able to solicit fee waivers from UC Davis or UC Hastings? I see on their websites that they only provide fee based waivers, but thought it was worth asking...

square_peg

Postby square_peg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:46 am

3.90/172

Unsolicited:
USC
UCLA
Duke
Michigan (snail mail)
Columbia
NYU
UPenn
Georgetown
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Chicago

...and a bunch of random ones that I just deleted.
Last edited by square_peg on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:11 am

168 3.55

I already put up most of my waivers, so I wont repeat that list, I will just add some udates:

Solicited successfully:

University of Virginia
WUSTL
Florida State University

Still waiting to hear from:

BC ( thinking of sending a follow up email)
Cornell
Vanderbilt
USC

Omnivalc

Postby Omnivalc » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:12 pm

I've gotten a good deal of unsolicited fee waivers from T14 schools, but nothing yet from NYU, Columbia, USC or UCLA. I applied to all of these schools two years ago but decided not to attend that round, and I'm reapplying with stronger statistics but have yet to receive anything. Do you think I'm not getting the waivers because I'm a second-time applicant? I'm considering soliciting from SC and LA today.

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Question:

the GPA that LSAC lists (and that schools use to determine whether or not to give out an unsolicited fee waiver) is the one you choose when you're making your LSAC account right?

That is, it's some form of 4.0-3.8 (almost all As), 3.8-3.5 (mostly As, some Bs), 3.5-3.0 (mostly As and Bs), etc. and NOT your actual GPA from you academic report.

slawww

Postby slawww » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:11 pm

florida1949 wrote:Question:

the GPA that LSAC lists (and that schools use to determine whether or not to give out an unsolicited fee waiver) is the one you choose when you're making your LSAC account right?

That is, it's some form of 4.0-3.8 (almost all As), 3.8-3.5 (mostly As, some Bs), 3.5-3.0 (mostly As and Bs), etc. and NOT your actual GPA from you academic report.

I'm curious about this as well. I think they use your GPA from your academic summary, because I have gotten e-mails from Florida Coastal with my LSAT and my exact GPA on my academic summary.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Edit:

Solicited UT a 3rd time and it worked! 1/6
So now I have a UT fee waiver.

I keep asking CLS random questions that I know the answer to while regurgutating my stats at them. Rejected like 4 times now.
Apparently UChi doesn't do individual cases for fee waivers.

Looks like I'm paying for HYSCC and maybe Boalt if I apply there. Man, this gets expensive quickly. Might actually fill out the need based waivers at YS and Boalt.

jubee

Postby jubee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:32 am

When I attempted soliciting waivers, NYU replied to me that if offered a waiver after applying, they will provide a refund. Since a lot of NYU's waivers are hidden, wouldn't that pretty much mean you won't get refunded? since how would you ever know if you were offered one? hmmm

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:49 am

jubee wrote:When I attempted soliciting waivers, NYU replied to me that if offered a waiver after applying, they will provide a refund. Since a lot of NYU's waivers are hidden, wouldn't that pretty much mean you won't get refunded? since how would you ever know if you were offered one? hmmm

they sent me an email nov 6th so it's possible

I believe Columbia and maybe Chicago refund waivers if you've already applied. Based on this
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... zcnc#gid=0

Maybe NYU changed its policies if you received that email

jubee

Postby jubee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:54 pm

sinfiery wrote:
jubee wrote:When I attempted soliciting waivers, NYU replied to me that if offered a waiver after applying, they will provide a refund. Since a lot of NYU's waivers are hidden, wouldn't that pretty much mean you won't get refunded? since how would you ever know if you were offered one? hmmm

they sent me an email nov 6th so it's possible

I believe Columbia and maybe Chicago refund waivers if you've already applied. Based on this
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... zcnc#gid=0

Maybe NYU changed its policies if you received that email

I was a little confused by your post. Are you saying you received an email fee waiver rather than hidden waiver, so the refunds are possible? I know that at least some people got emails, but know that there are a lot of hidden waivers also. I wonder how they determine whether to email or do a hidden waiver. I had postponed applying until the end of this week in hopes of any type of waiver from them, but won't wait any longer because obviously the earlier the better. But their email isn't too comforting since at least a significant portion of their waivers are hidden so it would seem refunds don't happen that often.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:57 pm

jubee wrote:I was a little confused by your post. Are you saying you received an email fee waiver rather than hidden waiver, so the refunds are possible? I know that at least some people got emails, but know that there are a lot of hidden waivers also. I wonder how they determine whether to email or do a hidden waiver. I had postponed applying until the end of this week in hopes of any type of waiver from them, but won't wait any longer because obviously the earlier the better. But their email isn't too comforting since at least a significant portion of their waivers are hidden so it would seem refunds don't happen that often.

That is what I am saying.

Although I received my hidden waiver first (I checked because of others on TLS) and than received an email afterwards.

jubee

Postby jubee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:06 pm

sinfiery wrote:
jubee wrote:I was a little confused by your post. Are you saying you received an email fee waiver rather than hidden waiver, so the refunds are possible? I know that at least some people got emails, but know that there are a lot of hidden waivers also. I wonder how they determine whether to email or do a hidden waiver. I had postponed applying until the end of this week in hopes of any type of waiver from them, but won't wait any longer because obviously the earlier the better. But their email isn't too comforting since at least a significant portion of their waivers are hidden so it would seem refunds don't happen that often.

That is what I am saying.

Although I received my hidden waiver first (I checked because of others on TLS) and than received an email afterwards.

Ohhhh Okay, didn't get that you meant you received both personally. Thanks for clearing that up!

mqt

Postby mqt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:48 pm

As a splitter, should I point out my sub-3.0 GPA when soliciting a fee waiver, or just point out my 171 LSAT? Will they be less likely to grant me a fee waiver if my GPA is not in the e-mail, or if they see the awful GPA?

erican09

Postby erican09 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 am

Fouxdufafa wrote:Unsolicited:

Berkeley
UCLA
USC
U Penn
UCLA
UVA
BU
Northwestern

Has anyone been able to solicit fee waivers from UC Davis or UC Hastings? I see on their websites that they only provide fee based waivers, but thought it was worth asking...

I received one from Davis yesterday via email :) unsolicited

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Berkeley need-based waiver granted with about a 7 hour turnaround. I am impressed.

jubee

Postby jubee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Just received a Penn waiver today, so those of you still waiting, there's apparently still hope among the t-14! :)

(I received waivers from Duke (PT), UVA, Michigan (hidden), UCLA as well other schools outside the t-14 like Emory, Wake Forest, UF, Tulane etc., and then a lot of TTT's. I successfully solicited waivers from GULC, GWU and BC. All other schools said they only use CRS searches for merit waivers, although NYU and Cornell said they offered refunds if they sent a waiver after app submitted.)

risa

Postby risa » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:28 pm

erican09 wrote:
Fouxdufafa wrote:I received one from Davis yesterday via email :) unsolicited

I just got one from Davis via email (unsolicited). Happy about that!

mqt

Postby mqt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Anyone else get one from Alabama with an extra offer?

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Unsolicited:
Notre Dame
U Penn
Northwestern
Boston College
U of Minnesota
Washington University St. Louis
William and Mary
Emory
Wake Forest
Vandebilt
Michigan
and other schools I can't recall/wasn't interested.

I got invitations to apply from other school but no fee waiver is mentioned in the email:
UCLA La Raza, Berkeley, U Michigan, U Maryland, UVA, Baylor, etc.
Also received a big package from Stanford with an invitation to apply, a fee waiver application, a letter from the Latino Association and 3 PS and 3 Resume samples from students who were admitted last cycle. (12/11 via regular mail). I know I am auto-reject but if my fee waiver application is approved I am applying. $21 for a rejection? Most likely.
Solicited:
UCLA (still waiting)/ got it
UVA (still waiting)/ got it
Georgetown (still waiting)/ got it.

3.9/158.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”