Just screwed up an interview.....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lxhyss

Just screwed up an interview.....

Postby lxhyss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:52 am

Well, just interviewed by law school and I thought I screwed it up. Partly because I'm too nervous, partly becasue I'm international and not so good at oral English speaking, and partly because I tried to make a terrible joke of which the interviewer found not funny at all......

Anyway, it lasts about 20mins and I'm not sure how negtively it could affect my entire application process.

Anyone knows anything about it?

emkay625

Re: Just screwed up an interview.....

Postby emkay625 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:13 am

Depends on the school. Which school?

Stupe

Postby Stupe » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:24 am

If I am ever in a position to interview anyone, I will be sure to give courtesy chuckles to every joke applicants make, no matter how unfunny.

Seeing the stony eyed stare of an interviewer is soulcrushing.

JO 14

Postby JO 14 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:29 am

I am not familiar with law school interviews (my acceptance was electronic). GPA/LSAT aside, my take, unless you said you do not have $$. . . you are golden.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:33 am

JO 14 wrote:I am not familiar with law school interviews (my acceptance was electronic). GPA/LSAT aside, my take, unless you said you do not have $$. . . you are golden.
Not necessarily true. A legitimately bad interview at a school that takes them seriously (like Northwestern) could hurt a lot.

It depends whether the interviewee was just obviously nervous with an imperfect command of English but otherwise ok, or if they actually did come across as super awkward and strange.

lxhyss

Postby lxhyss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:39 am

emkay625 wrote:Depends on the school. Which school?

Vandy,actually.

lxhyss

Postby lxhyss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:41 am

Stupe wrote:If I am ever in a position to interview anyone, I will be sure to give courtesy chuckles to every joke applicants make, no matter how unfunny.

Seeing the stony eyed stare of an interviewer is soulcrushing.

It would make me less worry if I was interviewed by you :)
Actually it must be my fault. Maybe I speak too fast and with an accent.

lxhyss

Postby lxhyss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:46 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
JO 14 wrote:I am not familiar with law school interviews (my acceptance was electronic). GPA/LSAT aside, my take, unless you said you do not have $$. . . you are golden.
Not necessarily true. A legitimately bad interview at a school that takes them seriously (like Northwestern) could hurt a lot.

It depends whether the interviewee was just obviously nervous with an imperfect command of English but otherwise ok, or if they actually did come across as super awkward and strange.

It seems I belong to the former category.
Seriously, it sounds to me like that a not-so-good English ability of an international applicant's won't become a major obstacle in his/her way to law school. Did I catch the point?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:47 am

lxhyss wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Seriously, it sounds to me like that a not-so-good English ability of an international applicant's won't become a major obstacle in his/her way to law school. Did I catch the point?
It will likely negatively affect your LSAT score, which is a major obstacle. And I think most schools require a TOEFL score. But in the specific context of an interview, I would assume that there is some understanding.

lxhyss

Postby lxhyss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:49 am

What a reassurance! Speaking of GPA/LSAT, I don't have a GPA b/c I didn't go to college in American. But my LSAT is higher than their median.

lxhyss

Postby lxhyss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:56 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
lxhyss wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

It will likely negatively affect your LSAT score, which is a major obstacle. And I think most schools require a TOEFL score. But in the specific context of an interview, I would assume that there is some understanding.

Thank you for your input here. Actually I already have an LSAT score(three of them actually) and a TOEFL.
Now that you mentioned LSAT, conversely, is it safe to say that if I get the same score as an American, mine will be viewed more positively since it is more hard for a person who's not a native speaker?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 pm

lxhyss wrote:Thank you for your input here. Actually I already have an LSAT score(three of them actually) and a TOEFL.
Now that you mentioned LSAT, conversely, is it safe to say that if I get the same score as an American, mine will be viewed more positively since it is more hard for a person who's not a native speaker?
Only if you're an underrepresented minority, really.

Your law school exams and writing assignments are going to be graded by the same standards as an American's, so they're mostly just interested in your skill level. In general, they want the international students to have a pretty good grasp of English.

Here at NU, I know there are some ESL classes that the internationals go to, to polish their writing skills, but everyone I've talked to is quite fluent when speaking.

lxhyss

Postby lxhyss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
lxhyss wrote:Thank you for your input here. Actually I already have an LSAT score(three of them actually) and a TOEFL.
Only if you're an underrepresented minority, really.

Your law school exams and writing assignments are going to be graded by the same standards as an American's, so they're mostly just interested in your skill level. In general, they want the international students to have a pretty good grasp of English.

Here at NU, I know there are some ESL classes that the internationals go to, to polish their writing skills, but everyone I've talked to is quite fluent when speaking.

Thank you for the information and thank God that I still have half a year to improve my English.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 pm

lxhyss wrote:partly because I tried to make a terrible joke of which the interviewer found not funny at all......

Was it a bad joke as in not funny, or a bad joke as in offensive or inappropriate? I think the latter could be a problem honestly. Telling a really inappropriate or offensive joke in an interview could definitely get you flagged as unprofessional/having poor judgement.

lxhyss

Postby lxhyss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:22 pm

canarykb wrote:
lxhyss wrote:partly because I tried to make a terrible joke of which the interviewer found not funny at all......

Was it a bad joke as in not funny, or a bad joke as in offensive or inappropriate? I think the latter could be a problem honestly. Telling a really inappropriate or offensive joke in an interview could definitely get you flagged as unprofessional/having poor judgement.

It won't be offensive. It was just a self-mockery.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”