Root-Tilden-Kern Scholarship Essay

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Root-Tilden-Kern Scholarship Essay

Postby aredhello » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi all --

My apologies if this question has been answered ad nauseum in another thread, but I had one quick question regarding the extra RTK scholarship essay. It is my understanding that if one chooses to write this extra essay, than the scholarship committee will review both the initial application essay and the RTK scholarship essay. Is this understanding correct, or will the committee either 1) Review solely the RTK essay or 2) Place more weight on the RTK scholarship essay?

My current personal statement could definitely stand in for the RTK scholarship essay, but if submitting the extra essay provides me with an additional opportunity to address the committee, then it seems to make sense to submit two essays even if they both address my commitment to public interest law...right?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Root-Tilden-Kern Scholarship Essay

Postby BalanceCare » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:13 pm

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I can tell you that I've seen posts from accepted RTK-ers who have done it both ways, i.e., some wrote the extra essay and others did not. To me it seems natural that anyone who cares strongly enough about public interest work to be a good candidate for RTK would already be discussing the topic in their regular PS, so writing an extra essay would be bizarre.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”