Why X Law v. LOCI

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Why X Law v. LOCI

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:38 pm

From the forums it seems like if I need to submit a LOCI down the line, I should discuss certain programs, etc that are relevant to the law school. Does this mean I should hold off on submitting a Why X Law statement? I don't want to be redundant in my LOCI, and I also want to make my application as strong as possible initially

Re: Why X Law v. LOCI

Postby SumStalwart » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:42 am

I am curious about this as well. Perhaps, you could do both. Do a "Why X" statement, and then write an LOCI about anything new that you have done. I think that would make you strong from the first instance.

Good question.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:06 pm

LOCI's are more about updating the school with new info about you than they are about talking about specific programs at the schools. If the update speaks towards an interest in an area in which the school in question has a specific program, mention it. Otherwise, the 'Why X?' is about the school, the LOCI is about you.

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Definitely do the Why X first. The goal is not to get wait listed, put your best foot forward.

Should you need to submit a LOCI, focus on stuff that makes you a better applicant. If you don't have anything, just highlight a different program that intrigues you or reach out to students or visit or something and focus on that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”