Is it worth applying to Fordham?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr. Elshal

Is it worth applying to Fordham?

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi,

So my numbers are 3.73 and 175. I'm applying mainly to top 10 schools but wanted a safety not too far from home (nyc). Is it worth applying to Fordham as a safety, or would Cornell be safe enough?

Davidbentley

Re: Is it worth applying to Fordham?

Postby Davidbentley » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Humblebrag sense is tingling, but, no.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks for the help. I wasn't trying to brag. My advisor at school keeps harping on the importance of applying to a school outside the T14 as a safety because it's possible I won't get into any of them and I just wanted to know if this is a serious concern or if she just doesn't know what she's talking about (more often than not it's the latter).

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:Thanks for the help. I wasn't trying to brag. My advisor at school keeps harping on the importance of applying to a school outside the T14 as a safety because it's possible I won't get into any of them and I just wanted to know if this is a serious concern or if she just doesn't know what she's talking about (more often than not it's the latter).

Law advisors suck. Ignore her. Blanket the T-14 and you'll be fine.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:she just doesn't know what she's talking about

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:54 pm

IMO, Fordham is one of those schools where it takes somewhat-rare circumstances to make it worth it for anyone to attend. I would put it on the Don't Bother Applying list. There were 6 people out of 1,481 students at Fordham last year who were on full-scholarships, and only 37 more who were on half-scholarships. So about 3% can argue that it's financially worth it, and that's if you think 2-1 DTI ratio (if not worse) is ok on your half-ride. If you're financing law school via loans, you'd have $130K debt at graduation w/o considering any debt brought with you. Fordham might be the #1 stingiest law school.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:56 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:Thanks for the help. I wasn't trying to brag. My advisor at school keeps harping on the importance of applying to a school outside the T14 as a safety because it's possible I won't get into any of them and I just wanted to know if this is a serious concern or if she just doesn't know what she's talking about (more often than not it's the latter).

Yup. You might get a lot of WLs, but if you write a LOCI they'll let you in because many of them will be yield protects.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:01 pm

justonemoregame wrote:IMO, Fordham is one of those schools where it takes somewhat-rare circumstances to make it worth it for anyone to attend. I would put it on the Don't Bother Applying list. There were 6 people out of 1,481 students at Fordham last year who were on full-scholarships, and only 37 more who were on half-scholarships. So about 3% can argue that it's financially worth it, and that's if you think 2-1 DTI ratio (if not worse) is ok on your half-ride. If you're financing law school via loans, you'd have $130K debt at graduation w/o considering any debt brought with you. Fordham might be the #1 stingiest law school.

Fordham offers a great Yellow Ribbon Program for vets on the post 911 GI Bill so tack on the vets that are there to the list of people that it makes financial sense for.

That said, for the OP, Fordham doesn't give out enough money even for numbers like yours to make it worthwhile when you could probably get a full ride at more than a few of Fordham's peers.

(from a Fordham 1L that loves the school I might add....

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Findley,

Do you know if Fordham counts Yellow Ribbon program members among its grant-holders for scholarship reporting? I'm compiling a list of schools that offer full-rides which shows the number of students receiving those offers. LSAC already does this, but I'm limiting my data to top-100.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:28 pm

catholicgirl wrote:

Thank you. This is pretty much what I'm doing so I'm glad to know it makes sense.

I appreciate everyone's help (and basically saving me $100)

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:30 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Findley,

Do you know if Fordham counts Yellow Ribbon program members among its grant-holders for scholarship reporting? I'm compiling a list of schools that offer full-rides which shows the number of students receiving those offers. LSAC already does this, but I'm limiting my data to top-100.

I am not dead sure but the YRP does equate to a full ride for vet that are 100% eligible. If I recall correctly they allow 40 per class between the business/law grad schools....

I understand NYU is changing things around, but at least this year Fordham is the top ranked NYC school that would be a full ride for vets. Cornell is the top NY school that does, but Ithica was not an option for me.

JC

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Fordham, like American, are known for being stingy with money. As such, those schools and schools like them would not be good choices for safeties since it is unlikely that an applicant with strong numbers would receive a large enough scholarship in order to make it worth it to go to the school.

Good safety schools would include Texas, Vanderbilt, USC, and UCLA. After that would be Notre Dame, WashU, Emory, BC, and BU. Since you want to be close to NYC, BC and BU would probably be the closest geographic safeties to that market. However, I would strongly advocate using schools from the Texas-Vanderbilt-USC-UCLA group as safeties, even though that are not in the northeastern region.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”