gpa is above 4, pass/fail class not related to major?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
unoplayer

gpa is above 4, pass/fail class not related to major?

Postby unoplayer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:01 pm

i have a relatively bad semester. i am a little burned out, so i am only taking three academic classes this semester as opposed to the four classes most students take. i enrolled in a class not related to my major that is above my level. however, the teacher grades pretty easily, so the lowest grade i can get is probably a B.

should i pass/fail the course? i have other pass/fails, but they are all mandatory pass/fail courses, which i can explain in an addendum. besides this course, i am taking 2 letter-graded courses and 1 mandatory pass/fail non-academic course. i do not want this semester to jump out at adcoms because of the excessive pass/fails and low course credits, but i also do not want to lower my gpa and would rather spend time preparing for the lsat.

jkpolk

Re: gpa is above 4, pass/fail class not related to major?

Postby jkpolk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:04 pm

unoplayer wrote:i have a relatively bad semester. i am a little burned out, so i am only taking three academic classes this semester as opposed to the four classes most students take. i enrolled in a class not related to my major that is above my level. however, the teacher grades pretty easily, so the lowest grade i can get is probably a B.

should i pass/fail the course? i have other pass/fails, but they are all mandatory pass/fail courses, which i can explain in an addendum. besides this course, i am taking 2 letter-graded courses and 1 mandatory pass/fail non-academic course. i do not want this semester to jump out at adcoms because of the excessive pass/fails and low course credits, but i also do not want to lower my gpa and would rather spend time preparing for the lsat.

pass fail that shit immediately

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:05 pm

polkij333 wrote:pass fail that shit immediately

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:15 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:

Postby 09042014 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

And don't bother writing an addendum about it.

unoplayer

Postby unoplayer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

And don't bother writing an addendum about it.

i am planning to write an addendum to explain that my other pass/fail courses are mandatory pass/fail, not to explain why i selected pass/fail for this course. i do not want ad coms to think that i selected a lot of pass/fail when i could select a letter grade. do you still think that i should not write an addendum?

SumStalwart

Postby SumStalwart » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:31 am

Usually the mandatory Pass/Fail courses have a sort of designation that indicates that those are the only options. Does your school not have that distinction? If that's the case, then I would make sure to attach an addendum, and potentially have a Dean's Certificate addressing the issue.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:41 am

Enjoy Cooley.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”