Urgent: Should I attend a law school event?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WalkingPlato

Urgent: Should I attend a law school event?

Postby WalkingPlato » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:42 am

I know networking can help. If you talk to the admission rep at a law school event, they may remember you and you may get a boost, especially if your scores are near their median (or that's what I've been told). There's this event coming up not too far from me. A lot of law schools will be there, even some of the ones I'm interested in. I could easily attend. But, I have a general outline of my resume and plan to take it to the career center for polishing. I don't think I can make it application ready by the time the event rolls by and I know you're suppose to leave your resume or something like that with them and ask good questions. I haven't prepared. I don't know the specifics of the schools that are going to be there and my resume won't be polished by then. So, I don't want to go and make a bad first impression but I don't want them to think I didn't take the opportunity seeing that they practically came to my front door. What should I do? Should I go? Is it tacky to not leave anything behind and just go there for information? Is it bad to just ask for information but not know anything specific to ask the rep?

Samara

Re: Urgent: Should I attend a law school event?

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:46 am

By all accounts, these types of events have no bearing on your application. The reps are going to blow smoke up your ass, anyway. You can get all the information you need here.

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:49 am

Samara wrote:By all accounts, these types of events have no bearing on your application. The reps are going to blow smoke up your ass, anyway. You can get all the information you need here.

There are parts of the application for nearly all the schools I'm currently applying to asking how I heard of them, and a part of it are events. If I don't mention that I heard of them and became more interested in them through an event, especially if they know an event was held close to me and they sent me an e-mail encouraging me to come by, won't that have at least some negative effect?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:50 am

WalkingPlato wrote:
Samara wrote:By all accounts, these types of events have no bearing on your application. The reps are going to blow smoke up your ass, anyway. You can get all the information you need here.

There are parts of the application for nearly all the schools I'm currently applying to asking how I heard of them, and a part of it are events. If I don't mention that I heard of them and became more interested in them through an event, especially if they know an event was held close to me and they sent me an e-mail encouraging me to come by, won't that have at least some negative effect?

It won't have any negative effect.

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:52 am

bk1 wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:

It won't have any negative effect.

Will it prevent me from gaining a positive effect?

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:55 am

In my experience going to these events there is nothing particularly helpful about the information that give you because so much of it seems to be general knowledge information. The only possible benefits that I can imagine is to help you narrow down what law schools you actually want to apply to based on specific questions that you have about a school or just picking up a lot of reading material that could help you make those decisions.

As far as actually helping you get an "edge" in admissions I seriously doubt that it can help you much. That being said, I enjoy going to them and I have been told by a couple of schools that they would waive my admission fee since I showed up.

Best of luck!

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:03 am

jrsbaseball5 wrote:In my experience going to these events there is nothing particularly helpful about the information that give you because so much of it seems to be general knowledge information. The only possible benefits that I can imagine is to help you narrow down what law schools you actually want to apply to based on specific questions that you have about a school or just picking up a lot of reading material that could help you make those decisions.

As far as actually helping you get an "edge" in admissions I seriously doubt that it can help you much. That being said, I enjoy going to them and I have been told by a couple of schools that they would waive my admission fee since I showed up.

Best of luck!

Thanks! That sounds accurate. I doubt I'll go but I'll see.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:12 am

WalkingPlato wrote:Will it prevent me from gaining a positive effect?

There is no positive effect to be gained.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”