Should I submit this additional information? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
URMLAW

New

Should I submit this additional information?

Post by URMLAW » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi guys.. I took SAT equivalent tests in my native language and scored in the very top percentile. I recently took the LSAT and scored decently but not in the top percentage. I believe the LSAT score is representative of capacity to analyze information in English in a determined amount of time. Of course this is completely relevant, as I will be studying law in English. However, I wanted to let the admission committee know that I believe the skills to analyze information are there but not fully exploited in a language that it's not my own. I'll probably improve my English as I spend the first few months in the US. I have ready the bibliography that shows the equivalencies and correlations between the SAT score and the standardized test I took in my own language.

I was planning on not saying this argument directly because I think it would be an insult to their intelligence. I'll simply express that my scores in standardized test in my native language are in the top percentile. Some Law Schools allow additional information. I'm aware that some law schools ask or like to have SAT scores.

What is your take on this? If you think that its beneficial to mention this information, how should I send it? (continued interest email, email, with the application, etc)

PS My transcript does not says my scores in the standardized test. It only has a number that was the result of a formula that used the standardized test results.

URMLAW

New

Re: Should I submit this additional information?

Post by URMLAW » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:04 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head. You don't want to come off as making excuses and saying you were slighted, because english proficiency is very important if you're going to study in english. However, I think you could say something a long the lines of how your score is lower than you typically score because of your English, AND you're now working diligently to improve your English before you would begin school.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:27 am

Don't submit this additional info. Improve your English skills and retake the test, or apply as is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”