To GPA Addendum or Not to GPA Addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bp shinners

Re: To GPA Addendum or Not to GPA Addendum?

Postby bp shinners » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:14 am

SumStalwart wrote:Okay guys,

I have gone ahead and taken out all of the bad reasons, and left the medical condition. Do you guys have any other comments or concerns?

Thank you for your time.

In the fall of 2007, I concluded my first and last semester at Private College with a disappointing 2.89 GPA. Being a three-year State-qualifying swimmer in high school, I was drawn to Private College's strong NCAA Division X Collegiate Swimming program. During this period my doctors detected an arrhythmia. As per the doctors’ advice, I abstained from practiceswimming for my school's NCAA Collegiate Swimming program (do they caps that?) and began the scheduled diagnostic battery. After a month, I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. It is typically not a very serious condition; however, the doctors cautioned me about engaging in excessive exertion. Concerned about my health, I completed my formal withdrawal from the swimming program and began treatment.Having lost an avenue in which I was passionate about—swimming competitively—I became disinterested with academics.

That's the explanatory part for your GPA. Now add a few lines that walk me through your transfers, as your transcript seems like it's a puzzle with too many pieces.

WhiskeynCoke

Re: To GPA Addendum or Not to GPA Addendum?

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:42 pm

That's the explanatory part for your GPA. Now add a few lines that walk me through your transfers, as your transcript seems like it's a puzzle with too many pieces.

Since for some reason, OP, you seem hell-bent on sending this addendum, do yourself a favor and listen to this advice. Cut out the whining and excuses and just give adcoms a heads up about your illness and confusing transcripts. Mentioning that because you couldn't swim you pouted and got bad grades just makes you look immature. Just mention that the illness happened and give a little road-map of your transcripts. Let the adcoms make their own judgements about its affects on your GPA. No excuses.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”