(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
somewhatwayward

Silver

Re: LSAT by Undergrad

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Wait, so are those the LSAT and GPA means or medians? I am a 3L (valid question might be why I am even reading this but putting that aside...) so I don't have access to LSAC anymore AFAIK, but I thought LSAC provided medians, not means.

I am surprised that Harvard's GPA mean (or median) is at 3.5 although I guess Stanford and Yale are worse (almost a 3.6!). A couple lawyers have expressed the sentiment that when they see HYPS undergrads who don't go to HYS for law school, they kind of wonder what went wrong, but a non-URM 167/3.5 is not getting HYS even with the small HYPS bump. I didn't get HYS (albeit in the competitive '09-'10 cycle) with a 171/3.9, which, combined, must've been at the very least 80th percentile overall for Harvard grads.

mg7

Bronze

Postby mg7 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:47 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:Wait, so are those the LSAT and GPA means or medians? I am a 3L (valid question might be why I am even reading this but putting that aside...) so I don't have access to LSAC anymore AFAIK, but I thought LSAC provided medians, not means.

I am surprised that Harvard's GPA mean (or median) is at 3.5 although I guess Stanford and Yale are worse (almost a 3.6!). A couple lawyers have expressed the sentiment that when they see HYPS undergrads who don't go to HYS for law school, they kind of wonder what went wrong, but a non-URM 167/3.5 is not getting HYS even with the small HYPS bump. I didn't get HYS (albeit in the competitive '09-'10 cycle) with a 171/3.9, which, combined, must've been at the very least 80th percentile overall for Harvard grads.

Means

cowmater

New

Postby cowmater » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm

toothbrush wrote:wow St. John's is shitty for a school with a "decent" law school. Not that that should matter, just surprising.

The St. John's with a 163 average is not St. John's University, but St. John's College - a small liberal arts college with a curriculum based on study of the classics and canonical works.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:48 pm

cowmater wrote:
toothbrush wrote:wow St. John's is shitty for a school with a "decent" law school. Not that that should matter, just surprising.

The St. John's with a 163 average is not St. John's University, but St. John's College - a small liberal arts college with a curriculum based on study of the classics and canonical works.

163 is pretty good.

shntn

Platinum

Postby shntn » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:53 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
cowmater wrote:

163 is pretty good.

Yeah...my undergrad has a fairly decent law school and the same LSAT mean (as of when my academic report was compiled, anyway.)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�