Fee Waiver email and acceptances

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JesusChrist

Fee Waiver email and acceptances

Postby JesusChrist » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:45 pm

How well does getting a fee waiver from a school correlate with an eventual acceptance? I know that a lot of people get them but surely they must have some criteria to refine the desirables from the flock. I just got one form Cal in an email and they're one of my tippy top choices.

nick_scheu

Re: Fee Waiver email and acceptances

Postby nick_scheu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:53 pm

I don't think there's any correlation. They both want to increase their number of high-scoring applicants, and increase their number of eventual denials.

Have you taken the LSAT yet? If so, what was your score? GPA?

I'm a Cal undergrad and didn't get the Boalt fee waiver. :-(

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 pm

nick_scheu wrote:I don't think there's any correlation. They both want to increase their number of high-scoring applicants, and increase their number of eventual denials.

Have you taken the LSAT yet? If so, what was your score? GPA?

I'm a Cal undergrad and didn't get the Boalt fee waiver. :-(

I'm pretty sure Boalt doesn't give merit-based fee waivers.

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:33 pm

x-posted from Berkeley thread

I got a fee waiver.

This letter has been sent to you as part of a pilot outreach plan to encourage students from the California State University and the University of California systems to apply to Berkeley Law School. Based on information made available from the Law School Admission Council, I believe you may be a good candidate to join the student body at University of California at Berkeley, School of Law. I write to encourage you to consider applying for admission this year and to provide you with an application fee waiver.

Took Oct '12 LSAT, over 3.75 GPA, not URM. If only this is a sign for a good LSAT score ... I didn't have my hopes up for Cal, but this gave me a little hope. Then again, everyone at UC/CSU may have received one.

ns2675

Postby ns2675 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:46 am

I'm at a UC and I got one of these from Boalt today too. I don't have an LSAT score yet but I have a good gpa. No idea if it's merit-based or not.

t0wlie

Postby t0wlie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Boalt implemented a new fee waiver program this fall to encourage CSU and UC students to apply. I got a fee waiver to, before my lsat score was even released.

Ill take it.

MsAvocadoPit

Postby MsAvocadoPit » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:20 am

Last edited by MsAvocadoPit on Fri May 23, 2014 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:24 am

MsAvocadoPit wrote:I'm wondering the same thing as OP.

Don't have a great LSAT, 15x, OK GPA 3.3x, good enough to get me into my local T2 that I actually really like!

I have been receiving fee waivers from even better schools, but I'm afraid to get my hopes up by applying to all of them. I feel like it's pointless. I did give in to two of them, U Penn and Notre Dame. Today I received a U Michigan fee waiver in postal mail, along with 2 viewbooks.

Just when I started feeling content with where I'll likely be attending next year, another fee waiver pops up!

I guess I don't really have a question here, but I'm trying to figure out some way to not let these fee waivers affect me so much.

I can't imagine you getting into Penn or Michigan with those numbers and am doubtful of Notre Dame. Are you URM? (I'd still find it hard to believe)

MsAvocadoPit

Postby MsAvocadoPit » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:26 am

Last edited by MsAvocadoPit on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livinglegend

Postby livinglegend » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:55 pm

I personally got over 40 fee waivers in 2008, but I believe it was because I attended an LSAC forum and simply wrote my information down. When I first got all the fee waivers I thought it was my sparkling personality, but I came to realize one of the criteria used by U.S. news is rate of acceptance and the more fee waivers they hand out the more applications they will recieve and more selective they will look if they reject you. I got into about half that gave me fee waivers and rejected by the other half and there were no surprises which made me realize law school admissions is in fact a 99% numbers game.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”