Religious Diversity Statement? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kalvano

Diamond

Re: Religious Diversity Statement?

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:47 pm

I've begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to "God" are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:50 pm

ITT: Poe's Law

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:51 pm

kalvano wrote:I've begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to "God" are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.
Your sun-god is idolatry at its most base, heathen.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:51 pm

kalvano wrote:I've begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to "God" are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.
plus, sun salutation is the healthiest prayer there is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:
Your sun-god is idolatry at its most base, heathen.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Kalvano, Jesus is with you every days. You don't see Him because you haven't opened your eyes. I understand you are not being serious about worshiping the sun, but idolatry is no laughing manner so you really shouldn't make such jokes. St. Peter won't be laughing about it when you see him at the gates!

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:53 pm

You should definitely write it. I almost never run into white male Christians these days. Would certainly add to the diversity of whatever school is lucky enough to have you.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:
Lenahan3 wrote: Sinfiery, I beg of you, consider your words. My God knows who is true among, and you as a blasphemous sinner have no right to say we don't have struggles. You haven't stepped in our shoes.
THe only examples of real struggles you need are us God-fearing Christians struggling against the overwhelming hatred of sinners like you.
Hah. If you really guys really believe this, can't wait to read OP's diversity statement. Should make for a good laugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Also, we need to be a little bit more selective on which Christians are the right ones. Personally, OP, if you're not Catholic then you might reconsider writing a diversity statement. Us Catholics are the only ones worthy of God's grace.

holycow64

New

Post by holycow64 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Trolls, trolls, everywhere. :roll:

If there is any possibility of getting this back to a reasonably serious conversation, then a few things.

1. Whoever said that a diversity statement has to be an 'overcoming adversity' statement? As far as I understood it, law schools value intellectual diversity as well as ethnic diversity. After all, ethnic diversity is valuable not simple to add more color to the rainbow, but for the background/perspective it brings. But maybe I'm mistaken.

2. I didn't grow up in the South, thank you very much. Practicing Christians weren't exactly anywhere and everywhere.

3. Don't make assumptions about someone's story whom you've never met/talked to. You know what they say about assumptions...

Soapbox - stepped off of.

Now, if anyone actually has some constructive advice, that would be appreciated. (not that all of you have been trolls. thank you if you took the question seriously)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:Also, we need to be a little bit more selective on which Christians are the right ones. Personally, OP, if you're not Catholic then you might reconsider writing a diversity statement. Us Catholics are the only ones worthy of God's grace.

I have as much authority as the Pope; I just don't have as many people who believe it.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:Also, we need to be a little bit more selective on which Christians are the right ones. Personally, OP, if you're not Catholic then you might reconsider writing a diversity statement. Us Catholics are the only ones worthy of God's grace.
Haha of course Brother Lenahan is joking. Naturally Eastern Orthodox is the only true Christianity.

Lenahan, that was funny but you should do some hail marys to repent...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:03 pm

holycow64 wrote: As far as I understood it, law schools value intellectual diversity as well as ethnic diversity.
right, except religion is anti-intellectual.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:05 pm

holycow64 wrote:Trolls, trolls, everywhere. :roll:

If there is any possibility of getting this back to a reasonably serious conversation, then a few things.

1. Whoever said that a diversity statement has to be an 'overcoming adversity' statement? As far as I understood it, law schools value intellectual diversity as well as ethnic diversity. After all, ethnic diversity is valuable not simple to add more color to the rainbow, but for the background/perspective it brings. But maybe I'm mistaken.

2. I didn't grow up in the South, thank you very much. Practicing Christians weren't exactly anywhere and everywhere.

3. Don't make assumptions about someone's story whom you've never met/talked to. You know what they say about assumptions...

Now, if anyone actually has some constructive advice, that would be appreciated. (not that all of you have been trolls. thank you if you took the question seriously)
Religion is not "diversity." It will not help you, and it could very well piss off the person who has to spend extra time reading it.

And definitely not Christianity. There is nothing diverse about being a Christian in the United States.

Alorain

Bronze

Post by Alorain » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Praise the lord. He will guide your path to admission. Just close your eyes, and let the Lord speak to you as you type your statement.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Alorain wrote:Praise the lord. He will guide your path to admission. Just close your eyes, and let the Lord speak to you as you type your statement.
This is how I plan on voting. God will tell me which candidate follows His will.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Don't let the trolls get to you. Cork and Sinfiery will see His glory soon. We just need to pray for them more.

I didn't grow up in the South either, I completely understand where you're coming from. My hometown was only 75% Christian! Praise Jesus that He was able to keep us safe from the other 25% of our town!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:14 pm

holycow64 wrote:
Sorry that these fucktards mistook being douchebags for being funny.

That being said, it's probably not a great idea. If you really want to do it, I'd say take the stuff about your religion out of your PS and keep it to your DS and hope that you can explain your religion and its effect in a way that does present as diverse.

Hjones33

Bronze

Post by Hjones33 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 pm

RickyRoe wrote:Flame?

Writing a diversity statement about being Christian in America? It is the most popular religion worldwide. Why not write it about being white, or right handed? Maybe you could spin that into a diversity statement. Maybe if you were a Rastafarian, Scientologist, or something unique, but not a Christian.

Thank you for that comment, now I know I can write my diversity statement on being left handed. Appreciate bro.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Paying more for golf clubs is a struggle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tuco Salamanca

New

Post by Tuco Salamanca » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:12 pm

holycow64 wrote:Au contraire. While the numbers suggest that Christians are everywhere, ask any kid trying to live out his faith in a public school in America (particularly in the North) and you'll find a very different story.
Despite what your experience may have been Christianity is still the most popular religion in this country. Being Christian is the opposite of being diverse. What exactly do you mean by "trying to live out (your) faith?" If you mean that you were praying in class, carrying a bible around, etc. of course you will be made fun of by kids. They look for anything that makes someone different from the mainstream to pick on..this doesn't make you diverse though, just about everyone in middle/high school will get made fun of.

Go ahead and write it, it might help you with previously mentioned schools such as Pepperdine and Notre Dame. But I wouldn't submit it to non-religious schools.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:35 pm

lol Christians

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:37 pm

1) at 99% of law schools you'll be in the majority as far as your religion is concerned. Everyone may not go to church every Sunday but on some level or another most people will probably identify as being Christian so you won't really be adding too much to the "rainbow" of your class.

2) There are plenty of practicing Christians in the North they just aren't as loud and obnoxious about it as they are in the South because they realize that no one really cares (and personally I've always felt that the more you go on and on about how religious you are the more full of it you are).

3) People are making assumptions because from what you gave them there's nothing to write a DS on, maybe if you grew up Christian in Saudi Arabia but it doesn't sound like that's the case. I wouldn't write it, you may have something that would add diversity to a class but being Christian isn't it.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:48 pm

How the hell was there only one christian on a football team? Football (and most sports) and prayer are almost synonymous. My coach in HS eventually got raked over the coals for forcing the team to pray/be spiritual.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”