Religious Diversity Statement? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
encaenia

New

Re: Religious Diversity Statement?

Post by encaenia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:25 am

To the OP's question:

I'm a Christian. Here's my perspective. I do not see how a DS on your beliefs can help you. It can only hurt you. You will not receive much praise or sympathy - quite the opposite. Most Americans are not Christian, most people who call themselves Christian are not. The reality is heresy is everywhere, people just wear the label, even many of those who actually attend a church. Narrow is the way and few find it. Moreover, people whose heart has not been touched by the Holy Spirit and made a new creation are usually very hostile to Christians. Remember this: "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." John 15:18. Expect hatred. This is my experience and it should be yours if you are a Christian.

The people reading your application are almost certainly not going to be Christians. Now, they will probably be most interested in your LSAT and GPA. If your DS plays a role after that primary consideration, it will likely not help you. You will not get praise or sympathy from the world.

Am I saying "hide your faith"? No. What I mean is, don't bring it up in a secular context where you hope for a worldly benefit. *You will not impress the world.*

Let people see you are a Christian in law school and afterwards.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:32 am

I think we should go back to feeding them to lions myself.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:36 am

NoodleyOne wrote:I think we should go back to feeding them to lions myself.
The ones that commit the deadly sin of pride at least

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:38 am

mrizza wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I think we should go back to feeding them to lions myself.
The ones that commit the deadly sin of pride at least

Lol. Well played.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:17 am

encaenia wrote:To the OP's question:

I'm a Christian. Here's my perspective. I do not see how a DS on your beliefs can help you. It can only hurt you. You will not receive much praise or sympathy - quite the opposite. Most Americans are not Christian, most people who call themselves Christian are not. The reality is heresy is everywhere, people just wear the label, even many of those who actually attend a church. Narrow is the way and few find it. Moreover, people whose heart has not been touched by the Holy Spirit and made a new creation are usually very hostile to Christians. Remember this: "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." John 15:18. Expect hatred. This is my experience and it should be yours if you are a Christian.

The people reading your application are almost certainly not going to be Christians. Now, they will probably be most interested in your LSAT and GPA. If your DS plays a role after that primary consideration, it will likely not help you. You will not get praise or sympathy from the world.

Am I saying "hide your faith"? No. What I mean is, don't bring it up in a secular context where you hope for a worldly benefit. *You will not impress the world.*

God, why are Christians so whiny? You'd think that being the bully majority for decades would ensure that they wouldn't have such a victim complex...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:54 am

Ah, the classic "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 am

vpintz wrote:

God, why are Christians so whiny? You'd think that being the bully majority for decades centuries would ensure that they wouldn't have such a victim complex...
FTFY

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
vpintz wrote:

God, why are Christians so whiny? You'd think that being the bully majority for decades centuries would ensure that they wouldn't have such a victim complex...
FTFY
tyty

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 am

holycow64 wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on writing a diversity statement on how my religious beliefs could add to the intellectual diversity of the law school?

I'm definitely not a URM. I could talk about how I was the only practicing Christian on a 100 member football team in HS, went to a Christian college only to find that there is tremendous diversity within the term Christian, how my particular political philosophy has been developed out of my faith and how it could add to the pursuit of truth, etc. etc. etc.

My concerns are two fold: 1. I've already mentioned some of this stuff in my PS. and 2. It would seem to the adcomms that I'm forcing diversity where there isn't any.

IMO, I definitely think it's relevant (after all, religious beliefs greatly alter views of truth, justice, law, etc.), but I'm concerned that they wont.

Any thoughts are deeply appreciated.
I didn't read through the entire thread, just the OP.

What many people may not realize is that there are many, many different branches and practices of Christianity that include cultural and ethnic traditions. Like you said, there is tremendous diversity in Christianity itself. While I am a (general term) Christian, I can tell you my faith understanding and practice is different from my roommate's, who is also Christian. That being said, if you feel that your experiences thus far practicing your faith would add a different perspective to the class, then please do write it. I'd be interested in reading it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:08 pm

If you're a lollard, write the diversity statement. Otherwise, fuck off.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:28 pm

um maybe if you were a gay christian...lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”