Religious Diversity Statement? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
holycow64

New

Religious Diversity Statement?

Post by holycow64 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on writing a diversity statement on how my religious beliefs could add to the intellectual diversity of the law school?

I'm definitely not a URM. I could talk about how I was the only practicing Christian on a 100 member football team in HS, went to a Christian college only to find that there is tremendous diversity within the term Christian, how my particular political philosophy has been developed out of my faith and how it could add to the pursuit of truth, etc. etc. etc.

My concerns are two fold: 1. I've already mentioned some of this stuff in my PS. and 2. It would seem to the adcomms that I'm forcing diversity where there isn't any.

IMO, I definitely think it's relevant (after all, religious beliefs greatly alter views of truth, justice, law, etc.), but I'm concerned that they wont.

Any thoughts are deeply appreciated.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Religious Diversity Statement?

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 pm

It won't make a bit of difference in whether or not you get accepted, and you run the risk of being "that guy" who submitted extra stuff and made them read it for no reason.

RickyRoe

Bronze

Post by RickyRoe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Flame?

Writing a diversity statement about being Christian in America? It is the most popular religion worldwide. Why not write it about being white, or right handed? Maybe you could spin that into a diversity statement. Maybe if you were a Rastafarian, Scientologist, or something unique, but not a Christian.

holycow64

New

Post by holycow64 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Au contraire. While the numbers suggest that Christians are everywhere, ask any kid trying to live out his faith in a public school in America (particularly in the North) and you'll find a very different story.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Write it first, then seek comments.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:53 pm

holycow64 wrote:Au contraire. While the numbers suggest that Christians are everywhere, ask any kid trying to live out his faith in a public school in America (particularly in the North) and you'll find a very different story.
This might be your experience, but I don't see this addendum benefiting you at any but a few select schools (Pepperdine, ND if you're Catholic, etc.). Considering how popular Christianity is in the US, I fail to see how this addendum would show that, on the basis of your religion, you'll add "diversity" to the school.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:49 pm

holycow64 wrote:IMO, I definitely think it's relevant (after all, religious beliefs greatly alter views of truth, justice, law, etc.)

Also, lol 0L's.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:09 pm

holycow64 wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on writing a diversity statement on how my religious beliefs could add to the intellectual diversity of the law school?

I'm definitely not a URM. I could talk about how I was the only practicing Christian on a 100 member football team in HS, went to a Christian college only to find that there is tremendous diversity within the term Christian, how my particular political philosophy has been developed out of my faith and how it could add to the pursuit of truth, etc. etc. etc.

My concerns are two fold: 1. I've already mentioned some of this stuff in my PS. and 2. It would seem to the adcomms that I'm forcing diversity where there isn't any.

IMO, I definitely think it's relevant (after all, religious beliefs greatly alter views of truth, justice, law, etc.), but I'm concerned that they wont.

I think you should definitely write this. I would be particularly interested in hearing how your faith aligns with standard religious-right political philosophies. If the adcoms think you're trying to force diversity they are probably atheists and you shouldn't go to their school anyway.

nick_scheu

New

Post by nick_scheu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:15 pm

I'm planning on writing a diversity statement on my experience as a Republican at UC Berkeley. Good idea?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:17 pm

mrizza wrote:
holycow64 wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on writing a diversity statement on how my religious beliefs could add to the intellectual diversity of the law school?

I think you should definitely write this. I would be particularly interested in hearing how your faith aligns with standard religious-right political philosophies. If the adcoms think you're trying to force diversity they are probably atheists and you shouldn't go to their school anyway.
This. There aren't enough true Christians in the U.S. And as has been noted on many different occasions, the Christian community's number one concern is seeking out the truth, no matter the situation. Reinforcing your objectivity in truth's pursuit can only bolster your application.

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Wait, so you're diverse in the sense that you're like pretty much every WASP applying to law school? Is that how it works nowadays?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:24 pm

CorkBoard wrote:Wait, so you're diverse in the sense that you're like pretty much every WASP applying to law school? Is that how it works nowadays?
Typical atheist, don't belittle our struggle.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:26 pm

mrizza wrote:
CorkBoard wrote:Wait, so you're diverse in the sense that you're like pretty much every WASP applying to law school? Is that how it works nowadays?
Us Christians are constantly struggling against the cynicism you're displaying towards our cause. For shame.
If anything, we are the minority.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:
mrizza wrote:
Us Christians are constantly struggling against the cynicism you're displaying towards our cause. For shame.

How's the air up there on your cross?

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:29 pm

kalvano wrote:
Lenahan3 wrote:
mrizza wrote:

How's the air up there on your cross?
Heavy with the smog of unbelievers, but thank you for your concern.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:
mrizza wrote:
Clearly not. You are everywhere. No one cares about your struggle, you aren't a real minority.

Look at me, I am not even from this country. People see my religion and think of bombings. You know nothing about struggle. You never faced a difficult situation in your life based on diversity and every ad-com already knows this.

I beg you, if you really think there is anything about being a devout CHRISTIAN (CMON NOW!) in America, please write this PS. But we all know that certainly isn't the case.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:33 pm

sinfiery wrote:
Lenahan3 wrote:
mrizza wrote:
Clearly not. You are everywhere. No one cares about your struggle, you aren't a real minority.

Look at me, I am not even from this country. People see my religion and think of bombings. You know nothing about struggle. You never faced a difficult situation in your life based on diversity and every ad-com already knows this.

I beg you, if you really think there is anything about being a devout CHRISTIAN (CMON NOW!) in America, please write this PS. But we all know that certainly isn't the case.
Sinfiery, like any good Christian I am turning the other cheek. Hopefully you realize the error of your ways and convert before you go to hell. god bless.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

heyunthebushes

New

Post by heyunthebushes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:33 pm

I blame Obama for this thread.

bitsy

Bronze

Post by bitsy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:39 pm

OP i think you have to look no further than this thread for evidence that your DS is warranted. as a christian, you have to constantly defend your beliefs-- much like you will be doing as a lawyer. most of the adcoms are probably christian non-urms too, and they'll value your faith.

~*~Matthew 6:33: But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:40 pm

sinfiery wrote:
Lenahan3 wrote:
mrizza wrote:

Sinfiery, I beg of you, consider your words. My God knows who is true among, and you as a blasphemous sinner have no right to say we don't have struggles. You haven't stepped in our shoes.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:42 pm

I think OP should definitely write a diversity statement on being religious. Given that being religious is a mental illness, adcoms need to know if they are letting in a special kid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:42 pm

bitsy wrote:OP i think you have to look no further than this thread for evidence that your DS is warranted. as a christian, you have to constantly defend your beliefs-- much like you will be doing as a lawyer. most of the adcoms are probably christian non-urms too, and they'll value your faith.

~*~Matthew 6:33: But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Amen, sister Bitsy

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:42 pm

mrizza wrote:
bitsy wrote:OP i think you have to look no further than this thread for evidence that your DS is warranted. as a christian, you have to constantly defend your beliefs-- much like you will be doing as a lawyer. most of the adcoms are probably christian non-urms too, and they'll value your faith.

Amen, sister Bitsy

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:45 pm

mrizza wrote: Sinfiery, like any good Christian I am turning the other cheek. Hopefully you realize the error of your ways and convert before you go to hell. god bless.
I've heard that line before. From every single person ever. Strong example of diversity!
Lenahan3 wrote: Sinfiery, I beg of you, consider your words. My God knows who is true among, and you as a blasphemous sinner have no right to say we don't have struggles. You haven't stepped in our shoes.
Even your fellow brethern admit that are everywhere. You are the applicants, you are the ad-coms, you are work at LSAC, you are not special!

bitsy wrote:most of the adcoms are probably christian non-urms too, and they'll value your faith.
Last edited by sinfiery on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Lenahan3 wrote: Sinfiery, I beg of you, consider your words. My God knows who is true among, and you as a blasphemous sinner have no right to say we don't have struggles. You haven't stepped in our shoes.
THe only examples of real struggles you need are us God-fearing Christians struggling against the overwhelming hatred of sinners like you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”