Turning app in before LSAC gets my transcript?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fiestaoffire

Turning app in before LSAC gets my transcript?

Postby fiestaoffire » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:19 pm

So I derped out and messed up my transcript verification. I assumed that if my school sent it directly, I wouldn't need to do anything more, but I didn't read carefully that they wanted me to attach a transcript request form along with it, so I'll have to do that tomorrow. I was hoping to start sending in my apps when the October LSAT scores come out (hopefully this Friday), but the transcript will take about 2 weeks to process at LSAC (if I recall correctly). I know you can send in your app before your LSAT scores come out and just update your application, but is there a similar thing for my GPA? Could I just plug in the number on my app or something while the real transcript is being processed at LSAC? Thanks in advance.

mommalee

Re: Turning app in before LSAC gets my transcript?

Postby mommalee » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:46 pm

I turned my transcripts (3 of them) in without the request form and they were processed. Why do you think you need to submit the form? Did LSAC specifically tell you that?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:48 pm

There's more of a chance that it could take longer or your transcript could get lost in LSAC's in-baskets (for instance, if you have a common name), but it's usually not 100% essential that you submit it with the form. If they can figure out whose transcripts they are, it should still show up.

fiestaoffire

Postby fiestaoffire » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:30 pm

To avoid delays in processing, you must use LSAC’s Transcript Request Forms to request your transcripts from the institutions you attended. The forms become available after you register for the Credential Assembly Service and enter information about your institutions.
https://os.lsac.org/Release/Apply/Trans ... ation.aspx

I'm more curious about whether I can submit my app before my CAS stuff is complete, and then have the CAS automatically update everything. Pretty much, I'm wondering if I can save an early spot in the rolling admissions without having to wait for LSAC to process (and possibly have a delay in procession) my transcript.

fiestaoffire

Postby fiestaoffire » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:13 pm

bump. anyone know?

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 am

In some of the emails I've gotten acknowledging receipt of my application, schools note that applications are reviewed not in the order in which they were received, but the order in which they became complete. So for those schools, you wouldn't be "saving a spot in line". Not sure how common that is, though.

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Don't worry about it. Apply when you want to apply. There are several variables that could impact when any one particular school will get the first-time CAS report, and several of them will vary by school (read: you can't do anything about them).

As someone said, date applied isn't the same as date completed. Many ED policies specify a "Complete by" date. For someone wanting to go ED in your situation, the damage has been done. Nothing one could do to rush the process, only avoid additional delays.

Law schools have several options for when then can ask LSAC to send them the initial CAS report (which is a score and at least some transcripts) and updates. For example, many schools choose a setting that holds the first CAS report until LSAC has an LSAT score, all transcripts, and the required number of LORs. For updates, schools can have reports sent individually for any update reason (e.g. new score, updated transcript, new LOR), which means a school would get whatever update there is as it is ready. But they can also have them bundled in various ways which could mean the updated report wouldn't be sent right away.

If a school is paperless, then the electronic files are downloaded into the database overnight as soon as the documents are ready. Obviously, if the school isn't paperless there is additional lag time for mailing. Keep in mind, though, that just because a school gets your CAS report, presumably the last thing you needed to be complete, doesn't mean you will actually be marked "Complete" within 24 hours of your CAS report being received. At most schools, a human being still needs to confirm every applicant has all the required items, which takes time (even more time close to deadlines).

Dean Perez

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”