Reapplying after extended deferment Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aredhello

Bronze

Reapplying after extended deferment

Post by aredhello » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any advice folks can offer.

I am reapplying two years after an initial application cycle, at the conclusion of which I accepted and subsequently deferred for a year an offer of admission from a T14 school. However, as I wished to defer law school for yet another year in order to continue at my job -- I work in the public sector and felt incredibly torn about leaving -- I had no choice but to withdraw and reapply this year.

I am absolutely sure I am ready to attend law school in the fall, but am not sure if I should include an addendum to my application to explain my reasons for reapplying. In some cases, I am reapplying to schools that I was admitted to, whereas in other cases I am reapplying to schools that I was not. Does it even matter to law schools why I am reapplying, and does it matter more for schools that I was already admitted to?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

pwyoung

Bronze

Re: Reapplying after extended deferment

Post by pwyoung » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Your addendum, if you decide to write one, wouldn't need to focus on the fact that you're re-applying to these schools - plenty of people apply multiple cycles in a row to schools that they've been denied or admitted to. The concern you'd probably want to focus on is the reasons why you deferred but never attended and why you feel as if you'll definitely attend this time around.

aredhello

Bronze

Post by aredhello » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting this just for the school that I accepted admission to or for all?

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Certainly for the school you originally deferred to, as to the second part, I honestly do not know whether or not other schools would be privy to whether or not you deferred at a different school. If they are, then certainly for those as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”