Addendum From Another Party Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GoingForGold

New

Addendum From Another Party

Post by GoingForGold » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:25 am

I was involved in a legal incident several years back. During that time I was being treated for clinical depression and my therapist believes it was a precipitating factor, although, I was still certainly responsible, for the incident. She is willing to type up a short and to the point signed addendum that would need to be individually mailed to law schools. Is this something that is worthwhile to do?

bp shinners

Gold

Re: Addendum From Another Party

Post by bp shinners » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:15 am

GoingForGold wrote:I was involved in a legal incident several years back. During that time I was being treated for clinical depression and my therapist believes it was a precipitating factor, although, I was still certainly responsible, for the incident. She is willing to type up a short and to the point signed addendum that would need to be individually mailed to law schools. Is this something that is worthwhile to do?
No - everyone has precipitating factors for their 'legal incidents', and most of them can probably be traced back (at least in part) to mental health issues. Having a doctor's note for a legal incident will not be viewed in a positive light.

You can (and should) write a letter yourself, but not have your therapist write it. If you do so, it will come across as trying to avoid responsibility for the incident. Your letter should accept responsibility for the incident and not try to shift the blame.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”