"Extracurriular" activities at my job?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aredhello

"Extracurriular" activities at my job?

Postby aredhello » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:09 am

Hi all,

As I work to complete my applications, I am having some trouble with the section regarding extracurricular activities. I am currently a public school teacher, and take part in various "extra" activities, such as coaching sports teams, joining school leadership committees, etc.

All of these activities are completely voluntary, and in some cases I am paid an additional hourly wage and in some cases I am not compensated at all.

Since these activities fall outside the boundaries of my expected professional duties, do you think that I should include them among my extracurricular activities from college and graduate school? If so, should I only include those for which I am not compensated, or should I include all?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:52 am

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Re: "Extracurriular" activities at my job?

Postby bp shinners » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 pm

VasaVasori wrote:If the application specifically says college and grad school then I would not include them, otherwise I would because they are extracurricular in a sense. Definitely put them on your resume.

This. They're not ECs, they're additional responsibilities you've taken on at your job.

aredhello

Postby aredhello » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:23 pm

Hmm. Harvard's app says to "List your extracurricular, community or other activities in the order of their importance to you."

It seems like this would include the things I was talking about.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:04 am

those seem like community activities, so why not?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”