x

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DAC

Re: JD/ MSW

Postby DAC » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:53 pm

At face value, a dual degree isn't worth an extra year+ of opportunity cost -- at least it isn't in my field.

Could be worth it [beyond consideration of personal fulfillment] if you either: A) are wealthy with $ to burn, B) can somehow get both degrees in the standard degree-completion timeframe in regards to the PRIMARY degree [whether that is MD, JD, DMD, PhD, etc].

I plan on getting a dual degree, but, unfortunately, since I'm lacking in the first category, I'm gunning to make up for it in the latter and graduate on time. :twisted:

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:00 pm

DAC wrote:At face value, a dual degree isn't worth an extra year+ of opportunity cost -- at least it isn't in my field.

Could be worth it [beyond consideration of personal fulfillment] if you either: A) are wealthy with $ to burn, B) can somehow get both degrees in the standard degree-completion timeframe in regards to the PRIMARY degree [whether that is MD, JD, DMD, PhD, etc].

I plan on getting a dual degree, but, unfortunately, since I'm lacking in the first category, I'm gunning to make up for it in the latter and graduate on time. :twisted:

What dual degree are you getting? That's awesome that you are trying to complete both in 3. I think getting an MSW would be interesting. Working in mental health has always been of interest to me, but so has being a lawyer. Coupled with the fact that mental health professionals (or social workers) have a difficult living, I wondered what a JD/MSW would help you to get. I didn't know if there was a market for JD/MSW people.

Thanks for your responses all

DAC

Postby DAC » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:13 pm

toothbrush wrote:
DAC wrote:At face value, a dual degree isn't worth an extra year+ of opportunity cost -- at least it isn't in my field.

What dual degree are you getting? That's awesome that you are trying to complete both in 3. I think getting an MSW would be interesting. Working in mental health has always been of interest to me, but so has being a lawyer. Coupled with the fact that mental health professionals (or social workers) have a difficult living, I wondered what a JD/MSW would help you to get. I didn't know if there was a market for JD/MSW people.

I'm not seeking a JD, but rather an MD -- so instead I have 4 years to complete both. :wink:

In your case, the JD will be the flagship of your credentials, therefore, if you can't find a program that will allow you to integrate the 2 degrees into 3 years completion, don't sacrifice the JD but perhaps [if your ambitious enough] look to reputable online MSW options to do on the side. Unlike the JD degree (where pedigree and US News rankings DO MATTER) employers don't give a damn where MSW students get their masters from as long as the institution is accredited and the graduate has their license (well, okay, if the student wants to go into academia and be a professor, their MSW's pedigree will factor in...but I don't think you want to be a social work professor). If you truly find the subject matter interesting and want those MSW initials/experiences, then get the degree as cheaply as you can (whether that be online or in a physical classroom). You could always get the MSW part time while working post-grad with your JD in hand.

I know about 10 MSW students personally, and I can report back that the curriculum is NOT difficult... so I don't see it being intellectual-overload if you were to try to get both in during 3 years.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:21 pm

DAC wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

I'm not seeking a JD, but rather an MD -- so instead I have 4 years to complete both. :wink:

In your case, the JD will be the flagship of your credentials, therefore, if you can't find a program that will allow you to integrate the 2 degrees into 3 years completion, don't sacrifice the JD but perhaps [if your ambitious enough] look to reputable online MSW options to do on the side. Unlike the JD degree (where pedigree and US News rankings DO MATTER) employers don't give a damn where MSW students get their masters from as long as the institution is accredited and the graduate has their license (well, okay, if the student wants to go into academia and be a professor, their MSW's pedigree will factor in...but I don't think you want to be a social work professor). If you truly find the subject matter interesting and want those MSW initials/experiences, then get the degree as cheaply as you can (whether that be online or in a physical classroom). You could always get the MSW part time while working post-grad with your JD in hand.

I know about 10 MSW students personally, and I can report back that the curriculum is NOT difficult... so I don't see it being intellectual-overload if you were to try to get both in during 3 years.

[ponders why you are MD bound on TLS] but thank you so so so much for your response. I think that's good to hear on all fronts and I never thought about seeking a degree online, etc, but that's a good option.

BTW Alan Shore > Denny Crane sowwy

DAC

Postby DAC » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:27 pm

toothbrush wrote:
[ponders why you are MD bound on TLS] but thank you so so so much for your response. I think that's good to hear on all fronts and I never thought about seeking a degree online, etc, but that's a good option.

BTW Alan Shore > Denny Crane sowwy

Heh, I joined TLS ~6 years ago, dead set on law school, but ended up switching out last minute.
I might have changed uniforms, but didn't abandon ship... so I keep an eye on TLS occasionally for interesting universal topics -- such as issues with seeking joint-degrees. :D

PS: Alan Shore? I made Alan Shore everything he is today. Denny Crane.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:30 pm

toothbrush wrote:

There really isn't a market for JD/MSW people. JD employers will hire you for the JD (you might get a small bump in some public interest, but even then the JD+relevant experience is going to win out). MSW employers will steer clear of you because they will assume you will jump ship as soon as you can (and you would be stupid for going into a job you can get with a MSW with JD debt). I can't think of any jobs outside of academia where both degrees would be required (even if you were doing social work malpractice defense you would have to hire an outside expert witness).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”