LOR Status

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CR2012

LOR Status

Postby CR2012 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:39 am

Hey all,

I reviewed the stickied FAQ thread, but I wasn't able to resolve a question I have.

If LSAC says that I have two LORs unacknowledged, does that mean that they haven't been received by LSAC or that they haven't yet been processed by LSAC?

When LSAC does receive them, will the status change to "Processing" or something like that?

Thanks

North

Re: LOR Status

Postby North » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 am

The "unacknowledged" note shows up in the status column when you've sent your recommender an electronic LOR notification and he has not clicked the link contained in that notification to set up an account with LSAC. It means that your recommenders have not begun the official process of submitting your LOR electronically. If they do submit your LOR electronically, the status will change to "received" almost immediately. Here is what the e-mail you recommenders received looks like:

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:05 am

piggyback question

the sticky note about LoR's says that if you email the form, you must print it and sign it and fax it to the recommender.

we don't have to do this anymore, right? it automatically signs it or whatever when we waive rights ?

North

Postby North » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:34 am

toothbrush wrote:piggyback question

the sticky note about LoR's says that if you email the form, you must print it and sign it and fax it to the recommender.

we don't have to do this anymore, right? it automatically signs it or whatever when we waive rights ?

LSAC's electronic submission option is very new -- less than six months old. Previously, we had to print out a physical LOR submission form, sign the waiver, and deliver that form to the recommender. The recommender would have to include that form in the envelope with the LOR that he sent to LSAC. That's the process you probably read about in the FAQ thread.

The electronic submission option eliminates all that nonsense. After asking for an LOR, let your recommender know that you'll send them submission information through LSAC via e-mail. When they get the e-mail, they just have to follow the directions and submit the LOR file. You are required to waive or not waive your rights to view the LOR before sending the electronic notification.

TL; DR: No. Yes.
Last edited by North on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 am

North wrote:
toothbrush wrote:piggyback question

LSAC's electronic submission option is very new -- less than six months old. Previously, we had to print out a physical LOR submission form, sign the waiver, and deliver that form to the recommender. The recommender would have to include that form in the envelope with the LOR that he sent to LSAC. That's the process you probably read about in the FAQ thread.

The electronic submission option eliminates all that nonsense. After asking for an LOR, let your recommender know that you'll send them submission information through LSAC via e-mail. When they get the e-mail, they just have to follow the directions and submit the LOR file. You are required to waive or not waive your rights to view the LOR before sending the electronic notification.

Thank you very much for the detailed clarification. I assumed that the process described was outdated, but it all makes sense now. And also, that old process seems annoying as f. Emailing is pretty simple and I'm glad it's like that.

Thanks again!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”