report first semester probation not on transcript?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pammie0415

report first semester probation not on transcript?

Postby pammie0415 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 am

I was placed on academic probation during my first semester in college. It was cleared during the second semester as I got my grades back up. I ask because it's not even on my transcript and it didn't show up on my LSAC academic report. I already have to write an addendum about poor grades anyway but should I click yes under the C&F section? Or should I assume that since it's been wipe, I don't have to report it. Thanks!

NoodleyOne

Re: report first semester probation not on transcript?

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 am

I have the exact same situation. Most instructions tell you to err on the side of full disclosure, so I am including it.

Tushbush

Postby Tushbush » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:20 am

I would disclosed. it wasn't on my transcript either. It hasn't affected my cycle at all yet. If you answer no to the c & f question and they find out otherwise you could have some serious problems. Just my 2 cents.

pammie0415

Postby pammie0415 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should err on the side of caution and disclose it too then. Just one more question..
Most applications require you to write a full explanation if you click yes.. How did you guys go about writing it?
'Full explanation' sounds like I have to write something incredibly long. But would 1 or 2 sentences like 'I was place on academic probation during my first semester at college. Probation was removed during my second semester after my grades improved' be sufficient?

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:47 pm

This is somewhat related so I'd rather not make a new thread about it, but what if in your first year in undergrad you had an "academic warning" on your transcript which basically meant that if your GPA fell below a minimum then the University would have to take disciplinary measures ie) require you to withdraw? My GPA after my first year was .1 below the requirement but I met their standard for the second term and warning was removed. Do I have to disclose this even though I wasn't officially on "academic probation?"

pammie0415

Postby pammie0415 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:13 pm

I remember reading this on another thread posted by someone with a similar academic warning situation as you. I remember the general consensus is to report it. I was hesitant to report my probation too because it wasn't on my transcript but others are right about how much trouble you can be in if the school does find out... Especially for schools like Georgetown that require a Dean's Certification Form upon acceptance. You never know if it will be reported on your Dean's Certification.. So I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Many applications directly ask you to disclose if you were ever warned, placed on probation, punished etc. for academic or other reasons by your UG institution. This would most likely apply in that circumstance.

Call your UG and inquire about your academic and disciplinary records. Even though this doesn't show up on your transcript, it will probably show up on your other records for the school and would thus appear on a "deans certification," required by many top schools like NYU and Columbia upon acceptance. If you don't disclose you could get yourself in trouble. If you do disclose, it's no big deal. Plenty of people have a semester of probation for grades. It's your overall gpa that really matters.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”