Advice on what to to do Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sneakerspot001

New

Advice on what to to do

Post by sneakerspot001 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:14 pm

New to the forms and need informed advice on my situation.

Fall semester freshman year, I took an elementary algebra class, didnt take it serious and got a F. Did the same thing again Spring semester freshman year and got another F. (didnt feel I needed to be in the class and missed the max amount of days both semesters). Since then, sophomore year upwards, i have had a 4.0 GPA, and bc the algebra courses were remedial courses they weren't considered college level courses and didn't affect my LSAC gpa or ugpa.

I am a AA URM graduating this year with a 3.79 lsac gpa and 164 lsat aiming for HYSCCN

My advice is whether I should write an addendum for this? Or should I not even attract attention to this bad spot on my transcript and allow admission officers to infer my obvious growth and maturity from my upward grade trajectory from my 6 straight 4.0 semesters and decent overall gpa?

Can you someone please help and give me serious, informed advice especially as it would relate to admissions to the T6 especially HYS.

Chickensoup

Bronze

Re: Advice on what to to do

Post by Chickensoup » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:05 am

sneakerspot001 wrote:New to the forms and need informed advice on my situation.

Fall semester freshman year, I took an elementary algebra class, didnt take it serious and got a F. Did the same thing again Spring semester freshman year and got another F. (didnt feel I needed to be in the class and missed the max amount of days both semesters). Since then, sophomore year upwards, i have had a 4.0 GPA, and bc the algebra courses were remedial courses they weren't considered college level courses and didn't affect my LSAC gpa or ugpa.

I am a AA URM graduating this year with a 3.79 lsac gpa and 164 lsat aiming for HYSCCN

My advice is whether I should write an addendum for this? Or should I not even attract attention to this bad spot on my transcript and allow admission officers to infer my obvious growth and maturity from my upward grade trajectory from my 6 straight 4.0 semesters and decent overall gpa?

Can you someone please help and give me serious, informed advice especially as it would relate to admissions to the T6 especially HYS.
Someone who gets into Harvard after failing elementary algebra twice would be a prime example of why affirmative action bothers some people.

That being said, I wouldn't write anything.

Note: I would venture to guess that most people on here took elementary algebra in middle school or early high school. And got A's.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:12 am

Eh, if it was only two classes, I wouldn't write one, but that's me. It's not like you bombed an entire semester due to a medical or family emergency.

I don't think "I failed algebra cuz I didn't give a F**K" would be worth the addendum, especially since a 3.79 is still pretty solid and you have the clear upward trend.

I don't know a lot about URM admissions, but I am sure people on here would tell you to retake. A few more points would probably make you solid for the schools you want.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:15 am

Mess around with this --LinkRemoved--

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:17 am

You might also find useful information in the Under Represented Law Student Forum where people might know more about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:06 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:16 am

I didn't even know they taught elementary algebra in college. I took that class in 8th grade.

But to be fair, OP said he failed because he didn't show up enough to the class. Which is kind of understandable given that it's an 8th grade class haha.

OP-- doesn't sound like you have a very good reason for failing. What were you planning on telling admissions? That you decided you shouldn't have had to take the class, so you just stopped going? I don't see how that would improve their idea of the kind of student you are.

And with those numbers, even as a URM, you don't have much of a shot at HYS.

EDIT: Or at CCN apparently. I just looked at LSN, and that 164 will really make things tough.
Last edited by Swimp on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DAC

New

Post by DAC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:01 am

sneakerspot001 wrote:New to the forms and need informed advice on my situation.

164 -> Top6: Impressive!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:21 am

Yea, just don't call attention to it. You don't have a good reason for those grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”