Law Placement in the West?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bgood2texas

Law Placement in the West?

Postby bgood2texas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:09 pm

I'm an October LSAT'er getting ready to send out apps. What are the best law schools for placement in cities like Boise, Denver, Colorado Springs, Laramie, etc? I'm in state at Texas and I know that they have a solid rep, but where else should I be looking? I'm 168 LSAT 3.65 GPA

skers

Re: Law Placement in the West?

Postby skers » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:28 pm

bgood2texas wrote:I'm an October LSAT'er getting ready to send out apps. What are the best law schools for placement in cities like Boise, Denver, Colorado Springs, Laramie, etc? I'm in state at Texas and I know that they have a solid rep, but where else should I be looking? I'm 168 LSAT 3.65 GPA

One of these things is not like the other.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:28 pm

It's hard to answer your question. What city do you want to end up in? Go to law school in whatever that city is with scholly if possible. If you really don't know which western city you want to end up in, go to T14 school if possible--those schools are called "national" because they have ability to place anywhere in the country, BUT you still really need to have "ties" to the city you want to end up in. It's best to choose ahead of time one location that you would ideally work and then go to school there and try to get a job there. Law school placement is very, very regional, and to the extent it is not (i.e. to the extent people are getting jobs outside of the state they went to school in) they generally either have ties to that market already (ie have lived there) or have very good grades from a top school (or top grades at a decent school)--ideally a combination of both.

For Denver CU with money could be a good option for you.
For Laramie, U Wyoming with full scholly could be a good option.
For Boise, U Idaho with full scholly could be a good option.
For Dallas, Houston, Austin, go to UT if possible.
For LA, go to a decent Cali School if possible (eg. USC/UCLA) or take large scholly at TTT in CA.

Etc..
Last edited by Lawquacious on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:30 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
bgood2texas wrote:I'm an October LSAT'er getting ready to send out apps. What are the best law schools for placement in cities like Boise, Denver, Colorado Springs, Laramie, etc? I'm in state at Texas and I know that they have a solid rep, but where else should I be looking? I'm 168 LSAT 3.65 GPA

I think you mean.. OP did you take the LSAT and score 168 or no? Because the Oct scores from this year haven't come back yet. I hope I didn't waste time on a boring flame.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:

I think you mean.. OP did you take the LSAT and score 168 or no? Because the Oct scores from this year haven't come back yet. I hope I didn't waste time on a boring flame.

Almost positive the thing not like the other is Laramie, which has a population that is 5% the size of Denver, 8% the size of Colorado Springs, 14% the size of Boise, and in general isn't a real city with significant jobs.

skers

Postby skers » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:45 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:One of these things is not like the other.

Almost positive the thing not like the other is Laramie, which has a population that is 5% the size of Denver, 8% the size of Colorado Springs, 14% the size of Boise, and in general isn't a real city with significant jobs.

Winner. Laramie is a shithole.

OP. None of these cities have very strong legal markets. You're going to be competing in these small markets against kids with strong local ties and connections. Anecdotally, my cousin was born and raised in Boise. Went to UG nearby. LR at u of Idaho and didn't have a job at graduation. Shit's rough and I'm not sure I'd chance it.

bgood2texas

Postby bgood2texas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:47 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:

Sorry I should have been more clear! I also took in June and that was my score for the June exam. I think I may have done a little better in October, but who knows. Definitely can't complain. Thanks for all the tips everyone. There just doesn't seem to be a super strong school in the west. I don't want to go to a school like Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Emory, etc and be stuck in an area of the country I don't want to be in. Debt is a serious consideration for me.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 pm

Yale.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”