delete please

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fit2practice

delete please

Postby fit2practice » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:32 am

Last edited by fit2practice on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoodleyOne

Re: C&F and Walking Away From Jobs?

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:00 pm

fit2practice wrote:The C&F portion requires you to list every single job you had, even a 1 month gig as a Burger King fry cook when you were 16. So how do I explain jobs that I ended on less than stellar circumstances (ie, me deciding "screw this" and not coming in).

I quit 2 jobs by just not showing up and turning off my phone for a few days. I know it was immature but at the time I was tired of it and just stopped coming in. One was a restaurant job and one was a fast food place. I know I likely screwed some people over because they had to work harder or stay late, so there might be some awkwardness there.

So I made the decision to "quit" by not coming in anymore but what if the job actually marked me a "fired" for being a no-show? how do I explain this? Is there some sort of official record that an employee was fired or quit?

Also, does the bar actually contact every place you worked? If I put a number down, it's likely going to be the phone book number for the business which is the same number customers call to place a to-go order. I really can't imagine something going like this:

hourly BK employee: "Thank you for calling burger king how can I help you"

Bar: "Yes this is .... with the state bar, I need to inquire about the character of an employee who worked there 7 years ago who is now applying to the bar"

hourly BK employee: "ummmmmm"

Also these places have extraordinary high turnover, what if not a single person who worked there when I did is still there?

Lastly will the act of quitting by not showing up demonstrate poor character? These are dead-end jobs that suck and I really didn't need the money that bad to justify being miserable.

Which C&F requires you to list every job you've ever had?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:07 pm

FYI - You did not quit. No-showing is not quitting - it's no showing and getting fired. If you inform jobs, the bar, or anyone else that you quit, you're lying.

fit2practice

Postby fit2practice » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Last edited by fit2practice on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:00 pm

fit2practice wrote:
paratactical wrote:FYI - You did not quit. No-showing is not quitting - it's no showing and getting fired. If you inform jobs, the bar, or anyone else that you quit, you're lying.

Ok, but my intentions were to quit. I forgot to mention this but I did give a two week notice to each of those positions, however I couldn't stand the two weeks and just stopped coming in.

If I turned to my boss and said "f-- this, I quit." and throw my apron on the ground and walk out is that getting fired or quitting? What if you say "I quit." right as the boss calls you in the office and you know you're about to get fired? See the grey areas here?

You're not fit2employ.

ETA: Sorry, snark took over. I get what you're saying about your intentions, but the bottom line is that if someone calls up the BK, their records probably say you were fired because you were fired. Giving two weeks and not having the maturity to get through those two weeks and then no-showing means you got fired. And in the latter examples, think of it this way: what are the job's records going to say? Is what you write down going to seem like you were lying? When it comes down to your word versus an employer's, who is more likely to be believed? It's stupid to risk discrepancies in this shit when you're talking about a part-time college gig at a fast food place.

fit2practice

Postby fit2practice » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 pm

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 pm

Reason for Leaving: "Provided notice of intention to resign; job terminated prior to official resignation"

Bam. Honest, understandable, and won't raise eyebrows.

Also, if you're just asking about law school admissions, I wouldn't worry about it. I would doubt they would call every job. As far as the bar's C&F goes, I don't think any state asks for every job you've ever had, which is where you'd be better advised to be more careful about this wording.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”